Subject: bug#25641: closed (Re: bug#25641: 25.1; insert-char function inconsistency)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2017 14:16:02 +0000

Your bug report

#25641: 25.1; insert-char function inconsistency

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
25641: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=25641
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#25641: 25.1; insert-char function inconsistency
From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
To: Pablo Mercader Alcántara <[email-masked]>
Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2017 15:15:09 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Wed, 8 Feb 2017 18:01:06 -0400 Pablo Mercader Alcántara <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> 2017-02-08 17:43 GMT-04:00 Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>:
[...]
>> Done and pushed to master as 90f76eb.

> oooh cool!
> thanks again!

I'll take that as confirmation that the bug can be closed, and have done so.

Steve Berman

Subject: 25.1; insert-char function inconsistency
From: Pablo Mercader Alcántara <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2017 09:04:01 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Im playing with a bat file triying to put a BELL sound when the file
execution is complete and I have a file that has the character so I just
have to copy it into the bat file. But I was curious about how could I
get the char directly from emacs so I did a C-u C-x = and emacs showed
me this:

             position: 7 of 8 (75%), column: 6
            character: C-g (displayed as C-g) (codepoint 7, #o7, #x7)
    preferred charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
code point in charset: 0x07
               script: latin
               syntax: .     which means: punctuation
             to input: type "C-x 8 RET 7" or "C-x 8 RET BELL"
          buffer code: #x07
            file code: #x07 (encoded by coding system iso-latin-1-dos)
              display: no font available
       hardcoded face: escape-glyph

Character code properties: customize what to show
  old-name: BELL
  general-category: Cc (Other, Control)

There are text properties here:
  fontified            t

I thought "ooh! this is cool I can write this character using its name,
BELL" so I created a new bat file "alarm2.bat" with just one line and
tryed to write the character on that file using C-x 8 RET BELL as the
previous help screen told me, but got a different character. When I do a
C-u C-x = over that character I got this:

             position: 9 of 10 (80%), column: 9
            character: 🔔 (displayed as 🔔) (codepoint 128276,
#o372424, #x1f514)
    preferred charset: unicode (Unicode (ISO10646))
code point in charset: 0x1F514
               script: symbol
               syntax: w     which means: word
             category: .:Base
             to input: type "C-x 8 RET 1f514" or "C-x 8 RET BELL"
          buffer code: #xF0 #x9F #x94 #x94
            file code: not encodable by coding system iso-latin-1-dos
              display: no font available

Character code properties: customize what to show
  name: BELL
  general-category: So (Symbol, Other)
  decomposition: (128276) ('🔔')

There are text properties here:
  fontified            t

Its a different character but it also states that I could write it using
C-x 8 RET BELL. To me that is an inconsistency, because one of the
commands that the help screen showed me was C-x 8 RET BELL and that
clearly doesn't work.

In GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2016-11-15 built on LAPHROAIG
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.10240
Configured using:
 'configure --without-dbus --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2
 -static -g3''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Bat

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Quit [6 times]

Char: 🔔 (128276, #o372424, #x1f514) point=9 of 10 (80%) column=9
You can run the command ‘rename-buffer’ with M-x ren-b RET
Type "q" in help window to restore previous buffer
You can run the command ‘describe-function’ with C-h f
Type "q" in help window to restore previous buffer
Making completion list...
Quit [2 times]
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
c:/Users/pmercader/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/cygwin-mount-20131111.1346/cygwin-mount
hides d:/share/emacs/share/emacs/site-lisp/cygwin/cygwin-mount

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail iso-transl pp wid-edit
descr-text tutorial vc add-log log-view pcvs-util vc-dispatcher vc-svn
frameset edebug apropos jka-compr ediff-merg ediff-wind ediff-diff
ediff-mult ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util ediff message rfc822 mml
mml-sec epg mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader calc-help
calc-aent calc-misc calccomp calc-sel info calc-stuff calc-yank
calc-store eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe calc-alg calc-ext
calc-menu calc calc-loaddefs calc-macs bat-mode vc-git diff-mode
easy-mmode dabbrev files-x omnisharp omnisharp-settings
omnisharp-auto-complete-actions omnisharp-server-actions omnisharp-utils
s flycheck find-func rx subr-x etags xref project popup dash flymake
csharp-mode imenu compile cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs macros nxml-uchnm rng-xsd
xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse
nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode
nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-glyph nxml-enc xmltok sql view python
tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat auth-source eieio eieio-core cl-macs
gnus-util mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr password-cache tramp-loaddefs
trampver ucs-normalize shell pcomplete format-spec advice json map
dired-aux dired thingatpt misearch multi-isearch rect edmacro kmacro
setup-cygwin cygwin-mount ange-ftp comint ansi-color ring cl-seq
yasnippet misterioso-theme finder-inf package epg-config windmove ido
seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode easymenu cconv
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp
disp-table w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote w32notify w32 multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 522627 96926)
 (symbols 56 52480 0)
 (miscs 48 342 935)
 (strings 32 141122 2904)
 (string-bytes 1 3803911)
 (vectors 16 68626)
 (vector-slots 8 1966421 74426)
 (floats 8 1055 909)
 (intervals 56 4040 2404)
 (buffers 976 52))