Subject: bug#2564: 23.0.90; cperl-mode while editing over tramp

From: Adrian Robert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 15:27:06 +0200

On Mar 8, 2009, at 1:13 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> I checked in a fix for this, menus will be slow to come up (due to  
>> file mod
>> time checks being done over the network by tramp) but it  should  
>> not crash
>
> Could you explain what mod-time checks we're talking about?
> Are they really needed?

Erm, I was hoping somebody else might know something about this.  It  
sounded excessive to me but I wasn't sure if it was just normal or  
not.  If it sounds strange to you I can investigate more when I get a  
chance.  All I know now is what's shown in the stack trace in:

http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=2564

I did an xbacktrace and it didn't tell me anything that jumped out at  
me.  Something that parsing the menu items seemed to require  
(keyboard.c: menu_item_eval_property()).  Throwing in some printlns  
seemed to suggest the check happened for every top-level item.