Subject: Re: bug#25638[Hunting]: linux libre 4.4.18 tarball has disappeared

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 20:45:14 +0200

Hi,

zimoun <[email-masked]> skribis:

>> When building without substitutes, users should end up downloading:
>>
>>   https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org/file/linux-libre-4.4.18-gnu.tar.xz/sha256/0k8k17in7dkjd9d8zg3i8l1ax466dba6bxw28flxizzyq8znljps
>>
>> … which is still available.
>
> Well, I am not sure to correctly understand the API of <ci.guix.gnu.org>
> in order to see if the tarball is currently on the build farm.

It’s available from
<https://ci.guix.gnu.org/file/linux-libre-4.4.18-gnu.tar.xz/sha256/0k8k17in7dkjd9d8zg3i8l1ax466dba6bxw28flxizzyq8znljps>
now (found a copy at hydra.gnunet.org!).  (This URL is served by ‘guix
publish’.)  There’s no GC root though.

> Is such version reachable with "guix time-machine"?  I guess no, so does
> it make sense to keep the tarball?

Good question, maybe not.

>> If disk space is a problem, I think it would be great if we could agree
>> on “pinning” specific versions that should never vanish from
>> ftp.gnu.org.  That way we could ensure future reproducibility of
>> Linux-libre and GuixSD.
>
> Such issue is discussed in #42162, especially the thread starting here:
>
>    <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/42162#4>

Yes.

> Therefore, if the linux-libre 4.4.18 tarballs is substituable on
> <ci.guix.gnu.org>, I suggest to close this bug.  WDYT?

Yeah, we can probably close it.  The more general issue of tarballs in
general, and linux-libre tarballs in particular, can be dealt with in
the issue above.

Thanks,
Ludo’.