Subject: Re: bug#25631: epiphany: Ad blocker does not work.

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2017 13:02:42 +0100

“g_file_new_for_uri” triggers the download via dbus, so it must be made
aware of the dbus session.  When running “dbus-launch epiphany” the
error changes to

    ** (WebKitWebProcess:30867): WARNING **: Error retrieving adblock filter: HTTP Error: TLS/SSL support not available; install glib-networking

If I first export the same environment variables (for GIO modules) that
are set in the epiphany wrapper the error disappears:

    guix environment --ad-hoc dbus
    source <(sed $(readlink -f $(which epiphany)) -e "s/exec.*//")
    dbus-launch epiphany

Should we use dbus-launch in the wrapper script or should we ensure
system-wide that after logging in the DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS is
exported?

I’m using stumpwm so I don’t know if GNOME usually takes care of this.
Maybe it is sufficient to run “dbus-launch” in .xsession and eval the
variable definitions it generates.

If this is so, should we handle this by default in some global file like
/etc/environment or similar?

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net