Subject: Re: bug#25631: epiphany: Ad blocker does not work.

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2018 09:54:36 +0200

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 06, 2017 at 12:02:25PM +0100, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
>> Epiphany comes with an ad blocker extension that can be enabled in the
>> settings.  When starting epiphany, however, the following message can be
>> seen on VT1:
>>
>> ** (WebKitWebProcess:12345): WARNING **: Error retrieving adblock filter: Operation not supported
>>
>> In fact, Epiphany does not store any filter list anywhere and as a
>> result no ads are blocked.
>
> Epiphany's ad blocker is now working for me on GuixSD with GNOME and a
> foreign distro.

Yes, it does work in GNOME.  I think I used it in StumpWM when it didn’t
work.  The session was not wrapped in dbus-launch.  Now I’m using EXWM,
which is started within dbus-launch, and the ad blocker does work.

I suspect that the only problem was that DBus wasn’t working properly
when starting StumpWM without the dbus-launch wrapper.  I hope this
information will be helpful to people from the future who find this old
bug report through a web search.

--
Ricardo