Subject: bug#25629: closed (Re: bug#25629: Hrm, actually autom4te isnt part of automake, but rather autoconf.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2024 01:19:02 +0000

Your bug report

#25629: Automake output non-deterministic when used with later Perls

which was filed against the automake package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
25629: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=25629
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#25629: Hrm, actually autom4te isnt part of automake, but rather autoconf.
From: Karl Berry <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2024 19:18:43 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Yves - back in 2017 you sent a patch to sort keys in automake:

    https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=25629
    Attached is a patch that I believe fixes any remaining uses of
    unsorted keys.

I've now applied this, with the exception of
a) the cases that had already been done in the meantime,

b) gendocs.sh and gitlog-to-changelog, which are maintained in gnulib
(I forwarded the changes there and they have been applied), and

c) help2man, which is maintained separately; I would have forwarded that
change to [email-masked] except that as far as I can see this is a
case where truly no sorting is needed. It's purely an internal
assignment:
--- a/doc/help2man
+++ b/doc/help2man
@@ -204,7 +204,7 @@ while (@opt_include)
 # Compress trailing blank lines.
 for my $hash (\(%include, %append))
 {
-    for (keys %$hash) { $hash->{$_} =~ s/\n+$/\n/ }
+    for (sort keys %$hash) { $hash->{$_} =~ s/\n+$/\n/ }
 }
 
 sub get_option_value;

So I'm closing the bug.

Belated thanks for the contribution.
(And Sam, thanks for unearthing this and bringing it up again.)

Happy hashing,
karl

Subject: Automake output non-deterministic when used with later Perls
From: demerphq <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 03:32:11 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Some time back I switched Perl to using a randomly seeded hash
function. (I am a core perl committer, and I do a lot of work on its
hash function.)

A consequence of this is that default output from tools like
Data::Dumper is non-deterministic, meaning output files under source
control, etc, change unnecessarily every time.

At least part of the automake toolset is affected, for instance autom4te.

For autom4te a simple solution is to add:

$Data::Dumper::Sortkeys = 1;

to the script. This seems to fix the problem I was observing, but an
audit of the use of  the "keys" function to ensure that any such use
for output is sorted will eliminate this class of errors.

I would be happy to put together a pull request, or a patch if you
could point me to the relevant repository. (Which does not appear to
be documented in the installed versions of automake, although I may
have overlooked it.)

I am sorry I cannot give a better reproduction description than this:

while hacking the "dieharder" package I observed that after running
"autoreconf -i" that the file ./autom4te.cache/requests file changed
in ways that it should not have. Opening the file I observed it
contains output clearly from the Perl Data::Dumper module, I then made
the patch to autom4te described above, and observed that after running
"autoreconf -i" again the output was sorted, and that after running it
yet again the file was unchanged.

Classic unsorted use of undefined hash order bug that we had to do a
lot of cleanup in the Perl world around the time of Perl 5.10

Thanks,
Yves

-- 
perl -Mre=debug -e "/just|another|perl|hacker/"