Subject: bug#25626: closed (Re: bug#25626: 25.1; doc of `bufferpos-to-filepos' for type `exact')

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2017 19:57:01 +0000

Your bug report

#25626: 25.1; doc of `bufferpos-to-filepos' for type `exact'

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
25626: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=25626
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#25626: 25.1; doc of `bufferpos-to-filepos' for type `exact'
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2017 21:56:02 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2017 10:58:24 -0800 (PST)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> > This text simply says that this option might be computationally
> > expensive.
> 
> If that's the intent then say that.  And I think it is the
> intent, hence this bug: please just say that.

Done.

> [There are also typos in the doc string of `encode-coding-region':
> "Optional 4th arguments" should be "Optional 4th argument" and
> "is replace by" should be "is replaced by".]

Fixed.

Subject: 25.1; doc of `bufferpos-to-filepos' for type `exact'
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2017 09:20:13 -0800 (PST)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The doc string says this:

  ‘exact’, in which case we may end up re-(en/de)coding a large
    part of the file/buffer.

And (elisp) `Text Representations' says this:

  ‘exact’
    The result must be accurate.  The function may need to encode
    and decode a large part of the buffer.

If I understand the code right, I think both of these are misleading.
They can give the impression that the text in the region can have its
encoding changed in its buffer.

But when `bufferpos-to-filepos' encodes some text it puts the resulting
text in a different, temporary buffer, and returns its position - the
original text (in the original buffer) does not have its encoding
changed.

Please consider clarifying this, so that it lets users know that the
encoding cost of `exact' is only one of performance and that the buffer
text is not changed in any way (in particular, its encoding is not
changed).

Or if I'm mistaken, and it does possibly change the encoding of some of
the buffer text, then please consider clarifying the doc to state this
explicitly.

In other words, please elaborate on (clarify) what is meant by "may need
to encode and decode a large part of the buffer" and "may end up
re-(en/de)coding a large part of the file/buffer".

In GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2016-11-15
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --without-dbus --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2
 -static -g3''