Subject: bug#25612: closed (Re: bug#25612: 26.0.50; Slightly suboptimal message for disabled commands)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 09:01:02 +0000

Your bug report

#25612: 26.0.50; Slightly suboptimal message for disabled commands

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
25612: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=25612
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#25612: 26.0.50; Slightly suboptimal message for disabled commands
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 11:00:05 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2017 23:16:27 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> > From: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2017 15:54:06 +0000
> > Cc: [email-masked]
> > 
> >  Yes, this-command-keys returns just "^M" instead of the expected
> >  "\370erase-buffer^M" it returned in Emacs 24.2 and older.
> > 
> > git bisect says
> > 
> > b593d6a999b21dfee6939b24866a5ec6fbe7d11b is the first bad commit
> > commit b593d6a999b21dfee6939b24866a5ec6fbe7d11b
> > Author: Aaron S. Hawley <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Tue May 1 12:10:02 2012 -0400
> > 
> > Reimplement execute-extended-command in Elisp.
> > * src/keyboard.c (Fexecute_extended_command, Vsuggest_key_bindings):
> > Move to simple.el.
> > * lisp/simple.el (suggest-key-bindings, execute-extended-command):
> > Move from keyboard.c.
> 
> Yes, when execute-extended-command was reimplemented in Lisp, the
> special code which produced "\370erase-buffer^M" was lost.
> 
> Does the change below produce good results?  If so, can anyone suggest
> a more elegant way of squirreling M-x into this-command-keys?

No further comments, so I pushed my kludgey solution, and I'm marking
this bug done.

Thanks.

Subject: 26.0.50; Slightly suboptimal message for disabled commands
From: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2017 13:34:09 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Run M-x erase-buffer.  The *Disabled Command* buffer that shows up
contains

  You have typed RET, invoking disabled command erase-buffer.

This should rather be

  You have typed M-x erase-buffer RET, invoking disabled command
  erase-buffer.

The RET alone of course didn't invoke the command, it just happens to be
the last keystroke, so this message might be somewhat confusing.

In GNU Emacs 26.0.50.42 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8)
 of 2017-02-03 built on localhost
Repository revision: e080d019f41d2738ba0db721c1b89ea57413439b
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --enable-checking
 --enable-check-lisp-object-type 'CFLAGS=-ggdb3 -O0''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND GSETTINGS NOTIFY GNUTLS FREETYPE XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message subr-x puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec
password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 97811 8600)
 (symbols 48 20258 1)
 (miscs 40 331 131)
 (strings 32 18045 4554)
 (string-bytes 1 593455)
 (vectors 16 14074)
 (vector-slots 8 472888 6594)
 (floats 8 182 70)
 (intervals 56 218 0)
 (buffers 976 12)
 (heap 1024 29048 1021))

-- 
Google Germany GmbH
Erika-Mann-Straße 33
80636 München

Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Geschäftsführer: Matthew Scott Sucherman, Paul Terence Manicle

Diese E-Mail ist vertraulich.  Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind,
leiten Sie diese bitte nicht weiter, informieren Sie den Absender und löschen
Sie die E-Mail und alle Anhänge.  Vielen Dank.

This e-mail is confidential.  If you are not the right addressee please do not
forward it, please inform the sender, and please erase this e-mail including
any attachments.  Thanks.