Subject: bug#25607: 26.0.50; Ido does not work with tramp anymore

From: Cédric Chépied <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2017 14:58:39 +0100

emacs -Q
M-x ido-mode
C-x C-f
(Here ido completion works)
Press backspace until you only have 'Find file: /' as prompt
(Here completion still works)
Type sudo:root@localhost:/
(No completion)

It used to ask sudo password and then completion was working.

To make it work again, continue the recipe with this:
C-f
Enter the sudo password, you have completion but ido is disabled
C-g
C-x C-f
Press backspace until you only have 'Find file: /' as prompt
Type sudo:root@localhost:/
(Completion works)

The problem is exactly the same with /ssh:

In GNU Emacs 26.0.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw scroll bars)
 of 2017-02-02 built on Aman
Repository revision: 7783d9fc71ffb46680ef0ba6d05ed8e5c191d2ef
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11901000
Recent messages:
Mark set
Ispell process killed
Starting new Ispell process /usr/bin/aspell with fr dictionary...
delete-backward-char: Text is read-only
kill-line: End of buffer
Undo!
GNU Emacs 26.0.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw scroll bars) of 2017-02-02
Mark set [2 times]
Mark saved where search started
Mark set

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=athena --with-xft 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64
 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY ACL
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11
LIBSYSTEMD

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: fr_FR.utf8
  value of $LC_COLLATE: fr_FR.utf8
  value of $LC_CTYPE: fr_FR.utf8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: fr_FR.utf8
  value of $LC_MONETARY: fr_FR.utf8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: fr_FR.utf8
  value of $LC_TIME: fr_FR.utf8
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  dired-omit-mode: t
  global-git-gutter-mode: t
  git-gutter-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  auto-revert-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-spelling-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-smiley-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  virtual-desktops-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/bbdb-wl hides /home/chep/.emacs.d/elpa/bbdb-20161001.2212/bbdb-wl
/home/chep/.emacs.d/elpa/cmake-mode-20160928.505/cmake-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake-mode
/home/chep/.emacs.d/elpa/flim-20161210.1728/md4 hides /usr/share/emacs/26.0.50/lisp/md4
/home/chep/.emacs.d/elpa/flim-20161210.1728/hex-util hides /usr/share/emacs/26.0.50/lisp/hex-util
/home/chep/.emacs.d/elpa/flim-20161210.1728/sasl-digest hides /usr/share/emacs/26.0.50/lisp/net/sasl-digest
/home/chep/.emacs.d/elpa/flim-20161210.1728/hmac-def hides /usr/share/emacs/26.0.50/lisp/net/hmac-def
/home/chep/.emacs.d/elpa/flim-20161210.1728/hmac-md5 hides /usr/share/emacs/26.0.50/lisp/net/hmac-md5
/home/chep/.emacs.d/elpa/flim-20161210.1728/ntlm hides /usr/share/emacs/26.0.50/lisp/net/ntlm
/home/chep/.emacs.d/elpa/flim-20161210.1728/sasl-ntlm hides /usr/share/emacs/26.0.50/lisp/net/sasl-ntlm
/home/chep/.emacs.d/elpa/flim-20161210.1728/sasl-cram hides /usr/share/emacs/26.0.50/lisp/net/sasl-cram
/home/chep/.emacs.d/elpa/flim-20161210.1728/sasl hides /usr/share/emacs/26.0.50/lisp/net/sasl

Features:
(shadow mel-q-ccl emacsbug misearch multi-isearch vc-git windmove tramp-cache
view smiley gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus nnheader epa-file elmo-maildir
modb-standard wl-mime mime-edit mime-setup mail-mime-setup semi-setup mime-image
org-wl org-clock org-location-google-maps org-agenda google-maps
google-maps-static google-maps-geocode google-maps-base org org-macro
org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src
ob-keys ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs find-func
company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags company-gtags
company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files company-capf company-cmake
company-xcode company-clang company-semantic company-eclim company-css
company-nxml company-bbdb company-c-headers rx hideshow dired-x crosshairs
col-highlight vline hl-line+ hl-line chep-lyrics git-gutter yasnippet chep-rtags
chep-stickyfunc company-rtags company-template rtags popup repeat bookmark
company smart-tabs-mode magit-svn magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash
magit-bisect magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree
magit-branch magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply
magit-wip magit-log magit-diff smerge-mode diff-mode magit-core magit-autorevert
autorevert filenotify magit-process magit-margin magit-mode magit-git
magit-section magit-popup git-commit magit-utils log-edit message rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa epg gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log with-editor
async-bytecomp async tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver
ucs-normalize shell parse-time server dash newsticker newst-treeview tree-widget
newst-plainview newst-reader newst-ticker newst-backend xml newsticker-notify
znc erc-track erc-spelling flyspell ispell erc-ring erc-match erc-list
erc-pcomplete pcomplete erc-button erc-fill erc-stamp wid-edit erc-goodies erc
erc-backend erc-compat format-spec thingatpt netrc bbdb-wl bbdb-wl-mime-edit
bbdb-wl-wl bbdb-wl-ignore bbdb-wl-common bbdb-wl-addressbook bbdb-wl-syncbuffer
bbdb-wl-addrmgr wl-addrmgr bbdb-wl-bbdb bbdb-com crm mailabbrev bbdb bbdb-site
signature chep-notification mime-play filename wl-demo wl-draft eword-encode
wl-template sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
elmo-net elmo-cache elmo-map elmo-dop derived wl-address wl-thread wl-action
wl-summary ps-print ps-print-loaddefs ps-def lpr wl-refile wl-message elmo-mime
mmelmo-buffer mmelmo-imap mime-view mime-conf calist semi-def mmimap mime-parse
mmbuffer mmgeneric wl-highlight elmo-multi wl-folder wl wl-e21 wl-util pp
elmo-flag elmo-localdir wl-vars wl-version elmo elmo-signal elmo-msgdb modb
modb-generic modb-entity mime elmo-util emu invisible inv-23 poem poem-e20
poem-e20_3 eword-decode mel mime-def alist mcharset mcs-20 mcs-e20 pces pces-e20
pces-20 pcustom elmo-date timezone elmo-vars path-util elmo-version luna std11
pccl pccl-20 ccl advice broken poe pym static apel-ver product chep-weather
url-cache url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap json map appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs ibuf-macs chep-mode-line php-mode etags xref
project cc-langs cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs cl speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe time-date paren
chep-strike chep-couleur chep-retourne chep-pastebin google_search
ifndef_fichier_h chep-convert-audio chep-video chep-mpd ampc dired
dired-loaddefs avl-tree network-stream puny nsm subr-x starttls tls gnutls
chep-anchor virtual-desktops easy-mmode ido grep compile comint ansi-color ring
deeper-blue-theme time battery cus-start cus-load finder-inf edmacro kmacro info
package epg-config url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cl-extra help-mode easymenu cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors
frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded
nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 580671 47426)
 (symbols 48 58631 5)
 (miscs 40 211 933)
 (strings 32 143501 18350)
 (string-bytes 1 4662838)
 (vectors 16 83864)
 (vector-slots 8 1397841 53427)
 (floats 8 1271 370)
 (intervals 56 2017 0)
 (buffers 976 27))