Subject: Re: bug#25593: Feature request: xref-find-definitions in current file

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2017 13:53:23 +0200

On 03.02.2017 10:43, Joel Ekström wrote:

> It's funny that you mention counsel-imenu, because counsel/ivy-mode is
> actually one of the reasons I wanted this in the first place.
> xref-find-definitions displays perfectly in ivy-mode (similar to how
> counsel-imenu works),

I see what you mean. ivy-mode switches completing-read to its UI.

But if there are several locations corresponding to the given name, 
you'll see them in an *xref* buffer.

> I was actually not aware that counsel-imenu exists, so this solves my
> problem to some extent.

Happy to help. I use it a lot.

> That said - having an option to have xref-find-definitions filter by
> file would still be useful, since ctags is able to index things that
> imenu does not.

Maybe that happens too, but my experience is usually the opposite.

> However - if it isn't a simple fix then I don't think
> it's worth it, since imenu is "good enough".

Let's see if someone else wants xref-find-definitions-in-current-file as 
well, or if they have some other ideas on this issue.