Subject: 25.1; M-% offers to repeat last search, but forgets that it was a "symbol" search

From: Eric Hanchrow <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 17:56:01 +0000

I don't know if this is a bug, but it's disappointing and inconvenient.

Start emacs with -Q, and type into the *scratch* buffer these 10 characters:

    I ate this

Now do C-a to move point to the beginning of the line.

Now replace the symbol "i" with "u":

   M-s _ i M-% u RET !

So far, so good: we are looking at

   U at this

which is correct.

Now try to repeat the replacement:

   C-a M-% RET !

This changes the "i" in "this" to a u, even though that "i" isn't an
independent symbol.  I was hoping that it would do nothing.

In GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu)
 of 2017-01-12 built on dev-dsk-erichan-2b-i-833ca944.us-west-2.amazon.com
Repository revision: f0eb70d8935be90f7c03e187c12d9b60e7214cc6
Configured using:
 'configure --with-x-toolkit=no --without-x'

Configured features:
JPEG SOUND GPM NOTIFY LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Saving file
/local/home/erichan/git-repositories/work/EMSEscalationService/src/EMSEscalationService/ems_escalation_service/ticket_status_synchronizer.py...
Wrote
/local/home/erichan/git-repositories/work/EMSEscalationService/src/EMSEscalationService/ems_escalation_service/ticket_status_synchronizer.py
Discard hunk? (y or n) y [2 times]
Mark set [2 times]
Replaced 6 occurrences
Saving file
/local/home/erichan/git-repositories/work/EMSEscalationService/src/EMSEscalationService/ems_escalation_service/ticket_status_synchronizer.py...
Wrote
/local/home/erichan/git-repositories/work/EMSEscalationService/src/EMSEscalationService/ems_escalation_service/ticket_status_synchronizer.py
Quit
compilation-arguments is ((git  log -1 --oneline ; export
ENVROOT=$(brazil-bootstrap --environmentType test-runtime); export
BRAZIL_CONFIG="--root $ENVROOT"; $ENVROOT/bin/python -m pytest --cov-report
term-missing -rsx --showlocals )  compilation-mode nil nil)
compilation-arguments looks like a brazil thang; turning off font-lock-mode

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow mail-extr emacsbug sendmail ruby-mode conf-mode magit-extras
sh-script smie executable network-stream nsm starttls url-http url-gw
url-cache url-auth disp-table url-handlers tabify man sort ispell
nxml-uchnm rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc
rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns
nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-glyph nxml-enc xmltok
vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs git-rebase magit-ediff
compare-w find-dired twb-find-dired log-view vc vc-dispatcher
tramp-cache etags xref project esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext
esh-proc esh-arg esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-util image
jka-compr ediff-merg ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-mult ediff-help
ediff-init ediff-util ediff dired-aux wdired dabbrev yasnippet
magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash magit-bisect magit-remote
magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-branch
magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply
magit-wip magit-log magit-diff smerge-mode magit-core magit-autorevert
magit-process magit-margin magit-mode magit-git crm magit-section
magit-popup git-commit magit-utils log-edit message rfc822 mml mml-sec
epg mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log with-editor
async-bytecomp async server dash ffap projectile misearch multi-isearch
hl-line term/xterm xterm amz-bmds amz-shell amz-brazil-cache savehist
bookmark flymake python tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs
trampver shell json map edit-list browse-kill-ring advice eww mm-url
gnus gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils url-queue url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
url-parse url-vars mailcap shr dom subr-x browse-url ws-butler wat
derived autorevert filenotify recentf tree-widget ido vc-git diff-mode
ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuf-macs dired-x dired grep compile find-func edmacro
kmacro rotate face-remap which-func imenu s ucs-normalize amz-common
amz-p4 amz-auto tls gnutls erc-list erc-menu erc-join erc-ring
erc-networks erc-pcomplete pcomplete comint regexp-opt ansi-color ring
erc-track erc-match erc-button wid-edit erc-fill erc-stamp erc-netsplit
erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat format-spec auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core gnus-util time-date mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr
password-cache thingatpt pp use-package diminish cl-macs cl bind-key
easy-mmode finder-inf info tool-bar package epg-config seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode easymenu cconv cl-loaddefs
pcase cl-lib rx mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote inotify multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 593724 53943)
 (symbols 48 51673 0)
 (miscs 40 7554 4507)
 (strings 32 123285 13115)
 (string-bytes 1 3844947)
 (vectors 16 64681)
 (vector-slots 8 999591 77052)
 (floats 8 703 3997)
 (intervals 56 28388 4733)
 (buffers 976 125)
 (heap 1024 38541 3559))