Subject: bug#25563: closed (Re: bug#25563: 11.90; Many predicates in TeX-view-predicate-list-builtin don't work.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2017 08:24:02 +0000

Your bug report

#25563: 11.90; Many predicates in TeX-view-predicate-list-builtin don't work.

which was filed against the auctex package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
25563: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=25563
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#25563: 11.90; Many predicates in TeX-view-predicate-list-builtin don't work.
From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2017 09:23:00 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Closing this bug as Ikumi has pushed his fix.

Subject: 11.90; Many predicates in TeX-view-predicate-list-builtin don't work.
From: Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 00:57:14 +0900
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Remember to cover the basics, that is, what you expected to happen and
what in fact did happen.

Be sure to consult the FAQ section in the manual before submitting
a bug report.  In addition check if the bug is reproducable with an
up-to-date version of AUCTeX.  So please upgrade to the version
available from http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/ if your
installation is older than the one available from the web site.

If the bug is triggered by a specific (La)TeX file, you should try
to produce a minimal sample file showing the problem and include it
in your report.

Your report will be posted for the auctex package at the GNU bug
tracker.  Visit http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=auctex
to browse existing AUCTeX bugs.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most paper size related predicates in TeX-view-predicate-list-builtin
like paper-a5 are ineffective now.

How to confirm:
0. Start an emacs sesseion on X window.  Make sure that xdvi is
   available on your system.
1. Open the following file with AUCTeX.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
\documentclass[a5paper]{article}

\begin{document}
dummy text
\end{document}

%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: latex
%%% TeX-master: t
%%% TeX-PDF-mode: nil
%%% End:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Type C-c C-c RET.  The document is typeset and dvi file is produced.
3. Type C-c C-c RET.  AUCTeX suggests "xdvi FILENAME.dvi" for the
   default View command.  I expect that the option " -paper a5" is
   present in the suggested command according to the entry
      ("xdvi" ("%(o?)xdvi"
	       (mode-io-correlate " -sourceposition \"%n %b\" -editor \"%cS\"")
	       ((paper-a4 paper-portrait) " -paper a4")
	       ((paper-a4 paper-landscape) " -paper a4r")
	       ((paper-a5 paper-portrait) " -paper a5")
	       ((paper-a5 paper-landscape) " -paper a5r")
	       (paper-b5 " -paper b5")
	       (paper-letter " -paper us")
	       (paper-legal " -paper legal")
	       (paper-executive " -paper 7.25x10.5in")
	       " %d") "%(o?)xdvi")
   in TeX-view-program-list-builtin.  However that is missing.

The reason for this is that the current AUCTeX does not append the
documentclass options to the active styles of the document.  In the days
that the predicates did function, the options were present in the output
of `(TeX-style-list)'.  However, evaluating `(TeX-style-list)' in the
buffer of the example above yields just
("art10" "article" "latex2e" "FILENAME" "LATEX")
, which lacks "a5paper".  Thus the predicate
----------------------------------------------------------------------
    (paper-a5
     (TeX-match-style "\\`a5paper\\|a5comb\\'"))
----------------------------------------------------------------------
in TeX-view-predicate-list-builtin returns negative result.  I suppose
that the other predicates related to paper size in
TeX-view-predicate-list-builtin do not function anymore, too.

Skimming briefly over the commit log, this discrepancy seems to be
introduced by the following commit (sorry for the mercurial log format):
changeset:   6026:170a0f97c120
user:        Mosè Giordano <[email-masked]>
date:        Thu Apr 04 15:17:23 2013 +0200
summary:     Better management of package options.
Before this commit, the function LaTeX-auto-cleanup has the following
lines:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
        ;; Append them to the style list.
        (dolist (elt options)
          (add-to-list 'TeX-auto-file elt t))
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I suppose these lines appended all the options of documentclass to the
active style list, but they were lost in the current LaTeX-auto-cleanup.

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-unknown-freebsd11.0, GTK+ Version 3.18.8)
 of 2016-10-14
Package: 11.90

current state:
==============
(setq
 AUCTeX-date "2017-01-10"
 window-system 'x
 LaTeX-version "2e"
 TeX-style-path '("/usr/local/var/auctex"
		  "/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/style"
		  "/home/keita/.emacs.d/auctex/auto"
		  "/home/keita/.emacs.d/auctex/style" "auto" "style")
 TeX-auto-save nil
 TeX-parse-self t
 TeX-master t
 TeX-command-list '(("TeX"
		     "%(PDF)%(tex) %(file-line-error) %(extraopts) %`%S%(PDFout)%(mode)%' %t"
		     TeX-run-TeX nil
		     (plain-tex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode) :help
		     "Run plain TeX")
		    ("LaTeX" "%`%l%(mode)%' %t" TeX-run-TeX nil
		     (latex-mode doctex-mode) :help "Run LaTeX")
		    ("Makeinfo" "makeinfo %(extraopts) %t" TeX-run-compile nil
		     (texinfo-mode) :help "Run Makeinfo with Info output")
		    ("Makeinfo HTML" "makeinfo %(extraopts) --html %t"
		     TeX-run-compile nil (texinfo-mode) :help
		     "Run Makeinfo with HTML output")
		    ("AmSTeX" "amstex %(PDFout) %(extraopts) %`%S%(mode)%' %t"
		     TeX-run-TeX nil (ams-tex-mode) :help "Run AMSTeX")
		    ("ConTeXt"
		     "%(cntxcom) --once --texutil %(extraopts) %(execopts)%t"
		     TeX-run-TeX nil (context-mode) :help "Run ConTeXt once")
		    ("ConTeXt Full" "%(cntxcom) %(extraopts) %(execopts)%t"
		     TeX-run-TeX nil (context-mode) :help
		     "Run ConTeXt until completion")
		    ("BibTeX" "bibtex %s" TeX-run-BibTeX nil t :help
		     "Run BibTeX")
		    ("Biber" "biber %s" TeX-run-Biber nil t :help "Run Biber")
		    ("View" "%V" TeX-run-discard-or-function t t :help
		     "Run Viewer")
		    ("Print" "%p" TeX-run-command t t :help "Print the file")
		    ("Queue" "%q" TeX-run-background nil t :help
		     "View the printer queue" :visible TeX-queue-command)
		    ("File" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips t t :help
		     "Generate PostScript file")
		    ("Dvips" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips nil t :help
		     "Convert DVI file to PostScript")
		    ("Dvipdfmx" "dvipdfmx %d" TeX-run-dvipdfmx nil t :help
		     "Convert DVI file to PDF with dvipdfmx")
		    ("Ps2pdf" "ps2pdf %f" TeX-run-ps2pdf nil t :help
		     "Convert PostScript file to PDF")
		    ("Index" "makeindex %s" TeX-run-index nil t :help
		     "Run makeindex to create index file")
		    ("Xindy" "texindy %s" TeX-run-command nil t :help
		     "Run xindy to create index file")
		    ("Check" "lacheck %s" TeX-run-compile nil (latex-mode)
		     :help "Check LaTeX file for correctness")
		    ("ChkTeX" "chktex -v6 %s" TeX-run-compile nil (latex-mode)
		     :help "Check LaTeX file for common mistakes")
		    ("Spell" "(TeX-ispell-document \"\")" TeX-run-function nil
		     t :help "Spell-check the document")
		    ("Clean" "TeX-clean" TeX-run-function nil t :help
		     "Delete generated intermediate files")
		    ("Clean All" "(TeX-clean t)" TeX-run-function nil t :help
		     "Delete generated intermediate and output files")
		    ("Other" "" TeX-run-command t t :help
		     "Run an arbitrary command")
		    )
 )