Subject: Re: bug#25562: 25.1; isearch-forward-word first matches a non-word

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2017 01:48:21 +0200

>> "While still adding characters" is not a useful qualification in
>> incremental search, because the user has no means to tell Emacs when
>> this phase is over.  I think you meant to say "until the next C-s".
>
> Sure.  I didn't suggest to add what I said literally that to the docs.
> I rather just wanted to point to a deficiency.  Thanks for the
> clarification anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion.  What do you think about this?

diff --git a/doc/emacs/search.texi b/doc/emacs/search.texi
index fa69ba4..a76141e 100644
--- a/doc/emacs/search.texi
+++ b/doc/emacs/search.texi
@@ -609,6 +609,8 @@ Word Search
 so that the matching can proceed incrementally as you type.  This
 additional laxity does not apply to the lazy highlight
 (@pxref{Incremental Search}), which always matches whole words.
+While you are typing the search string, @samp{Pending} appears in the
+search prompt until you use a search repeating key like @kbd{C-s}.
 
   The word search commands don't perform character folding, and
 toggling lax whitespace matching (@pxref{Lax Search, lax space
@@ -662,7 +664,9 @@ Symbol Search
 direction of the search and the current search string; you can disable
 symbol search by typing @kbd{M-s _} again.  In incremental symbol
 search, only the beginning of the search string is required to match
-the beginning of a symbol.
+the beginning of a symbol while you are typing the search string,
+@samp{Pending} appears in the search prompt until you use a search
+repeating key like @kbd{C-s}.
 
   To begin a nonincremental symbol search, type @kbd{M-s _ @key{RET}}
 for a forward search, or @kbd{M-s _ C-r @key{RET}} or a backward