Subject: bug#25548: 25.1; Wrong Emacs version for Emacs 25.1.2 (?)

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 09:41:38 +0200

> Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 14:30:58 -0800 (PST)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> > It's 25.1-2, that is a second release of version 25.1. The first one
> > was compiled without optimization.
> > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-11/msg00293.html
> 
> Sorry, but I still don't understand.  What's the difference between
> 25.1-2 and 25.1.2?

They are builds of the same codebase with different compiler options.

> Do both 25.1-1 (whatever/wherever that is) and 25.1-2 correspond to
> 25.1.1?

They both correspond to 25.1.  There's no 25.1.1 release; 25.1.1 is
build #1 of the 25.1 release.

> Where does a user see the version number 25.1-2 (or whatever kind of
> number it is, if it is not a version number)?

It's not a version number.  It's a name of the zip file, and was give
"-2" to distinguish it from the original upload.

> How, from Emacs itself, does a user tell the difference between
> 25.1-1 and 25.1-2?

The value of system-configuration-options should be different.

> These were the zip files downloaded, respectively:
> 
>  emacs-25.1-x86_64-mingw32.zip
>  emacs-25.1-2-x86_64-w64-mingw32.zip
> 
> What does a user (or code) look for within Emacs, to tell the difference?

See above.

> And are these releases?  Release candidates?  Pretest builds?

These are releases.  Pretests have a 4-field versions, like
25.1.91.2.  Release candidates have "RC" in the name of the zip file.

> How to know?

See the node "Version Info" in the ELisp manual.

> Is all this supposed to be clear to users?

This information is not necessarily of importance for users.  It is
important in bug reports, which is why report-emacs-bug includes it.
But inquisitive users can find the information in the Emacs manuals.

> At the mirrors where you download these things there is no
> description/explanation.  (They don't even tell you what the
> difference is between zips x86 and i86.)

The explanations you are looking for are in the README file that is
right near the zip archives.

> I realize that building and uploading Emacs for Windows is a volunteer
> effort, and I'm grateful for it.  But can we perhaps make the zip naming
> clearer?

Did you read the README file?