Subject: bug#25542: 25.1; Restoring the frame from fullscreen to maximized

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 15:00:34 +0100

>> What is that package "emacs-w32"?
 >
 > I'm not sure I understand your question, so my answer may be
 > trivial/useless to you, but anyway:  Cygwin is a distribution of
 > software organized in packages.  The name of one of those packages is
 > "emacs-w32" (you can search for it in the cygwin package manager).
 > Well, that is the package which includes the Emacs binary I'm using.

I don't have Cygwin installed so I doubt that using its package manager
would make much sense for me.  Anyway, I suppose it provides a w32
executable, say emacs-w32.exe and some additional libraries.  I was a
bit confused by the term "package".

 > It's basically a build of Emacs made for the Cygwin platform, but
 > modified to use the native MS-Windows GUI, instead of X-Window or
 > another toolkit like GTK+.

We would probably have to look at these "modifications" in order to find
out what happens.  Meanwhile a few questions:

(1) What is the appearance of the maximize button after step 3?  Does it
     show two overlapping windows or one large window?

(2) How do the frames from before step 2 and after step 3 differ?
     Please use M-: (frame-geometry) and post the ‘outer-position’ and
     ‘outer-size’ values.

(3) Apart from the problem you reported do

     M-: (set-frame-parameter nil 'fullscreen 'maximized)

     and clicking on the maximize button of the title bar produce frames
     with the same size and position?

(4) Does setting ‘frame-resize-pixelwise’ to t change anything?

(5) Can you try with a native Windows build or a GTK build and see
     whether they exhibit the same problem?

 > BTW, I forgot to mention that my OS (on which Cygwin is installed) is
 > MS-Windows 10 Enterprise.

Can anyone with a native build on Windows 10 reproduce the problem?

Thanks, martin