Subject: bug#25527: PostgreSQL retains references to ld-wrapper and coreutils

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 00:13:22 +0200

Dear,

On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 at 09:57, [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:

> As of 04fa4cdf95a004bda4d63b6578b53e154a4d4679:

Comparing with 58af4c9621af02cc4e2bb5692d4b377084b0fcc6.

> $ guix size postgresql
> store item                                                       total    self
> /gnu/store/4xxd00drj8gjcr84xdfna44qak2vhwmf-binutils-2.27           87.6    49.3  24.6%
> /gnu/store/iwgi9001dmmihrjg4rqhd6pa6788prjw-glibc-2.24              38.3    36.8  18.4%
> /gnu/store/cdi08kw7r6r684w8mk0xq0dkgpjhfpmd-gcc-4.9.4-lib           61.0    22.7  11.3%
> /gnu/store/awmx27f02la7sc4s63jxsdczclsf63gj-postgresql-9.5.5       200.5    20.0  10.0%
> /gnu/store/9xfn6q7cxqxaxsv6kgiic9iygl2iv2ci-coreutils-8.25          78.8    14.4   7.2%
> /gnu/store/6slzn4ixcjlhy3av3biglqfli9pwxcn9-guile-2.0.12           103.4    12.7   6.3%

[...]

> /gnu/store/c7lm5innppxm53bf5w7i99d59kjdyx27-ld-wrapper-0           152.8     0.0   0.0%
> total: 200.5 MiB

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ guix size postgresql
store item                                                       total    self
/gnu/store/m1z7cdbqsqyp9xnjw5cvlb4a7gkcg3m4-binutils-2.34           93.0    54.6  21.4%
/gnu/store/0m0vd873jp61lcm4xa3ljdgx381qa782-guile-3.0.2            132.8    53.2  20.9%
/gnu/store/fa6wj5bxkj5ll1d7292a70knmyl7a0cr-glibc-2.31              38.4    36.7  14.4%
/gnu/store/01b4w3m6mp55y531kyi1g8shh722kwqm-gcc-7.5.0-lib           71.0    32.6  12.8%
/gnu/store/2w144h8kp0pzngi5zziay3pz0hxqii6i-postgresql-11.6        254.6    24.2   9.5%
/gnu/store/57xj5gcy1jbl9ai2lnrqnpr0dald9i65-coreutils-8.32          88.0    17.0   6.7%
/gnu/store/a45p39mgqvfd8kjwibyr0q42k1mw7gmf-util-linux-2.35.1-lib    80.0     9.0   3.5%
/gnu/store/dkzivzn17qilmqdfpyps62b395wxhshh-openssl-1.1.1f          77.4     6.4   2.5%

[...]

/gnu/store/mpa04aq8lblbcviyxywxcsb1zbi0mf39-ld-wrapper-0           187.5     0.1   0.0%
total: 254.6 MiB
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

> We should at least remove the dependency on ld-wrapper, which is
> probably not justified.

The command “guix graph postgresql -t bag | dot -Tpdf > /tmp/psql.pdf”
shows that this ’ld-wrapper-0“ comes from ‘util-linux’.  Therefore, is
it affordable to remove this dependency?

All the best,
simon