Subject: bug#25527: closed (Re: bug#25527: PostgreSQL retains references to ld-wrapper and coreutils)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2020 17:58:03 +0000

Your bug report

#25527: PostgreSQL retains references to ld-wrapper and coreutils

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
25527: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=25527
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#25527: PostgreSQL retains references to ld-wrapper and coreutils
From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
To: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2020 18:57:36 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

[email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès) skriver:

> As of 04fa4cdf95a004bda4d63b6578b53e154a4d4679:
>
> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> $ guix size postgresql
> store item                                                       total    self
> /gnu/store/awmx27f02la7sc4s63jxsdczclsf63gj-postgresql-9.5.5       200.5    20.0  10.0%
> /gnu/store/c7lm5innppxm53bf5w7i99d59kjdyx27-ld-wrapper-0           152.8     0.0   0.0%
> /gnu/store/6slzn4ixcjlhy3av3biglqfli9pwxcn9-guile-2.0.12           103.4    12.7   6.3%
> /gnu/store/4xxd00drj8gjcr84xdfna44qak2vhwmf-binutils-2.27           87.6    49.3  24.6%
> /gnu/store/9xfn6q7cxqxaxsv6kgiic9iygl2iv2ci-coreutils-8.25          78.8    14.4   7.2%
> /gnu/store/9l52vcmb1ambc3ypf7nxn38ac0976yyf-tar-1.29                76.0     2.6   1.3%
> /gnu/store/iz6rbi4r00jhwzbccnsbq1bbrbdi6h3d-readline-7.0            68.0     1.3   0.6%
> /gnu/store/k0x973sjylvi746ib2xn4v1hjp855qq1-readline-7.0            68.0     1.3   0.6%
> /gnu/store/yi8a0206zpqf6qijkn70938jj8l6s87b-ncurses-6.0             66.7     5.7   2.9%
> /gnu/store/xydfiifs9slq0wv6n8j6p26icn2ihn88-ncurses-6.0             66.7     5.7   2.9%
> /gnu/store/qj5sazmlzqbn2nlm7vxj6wjns0mm5x79-libunistring-0.9.6      65.4     4.5   2.2%
> /gnu/store/frxwbfah0l9fr0j398vg3avsrmdfajnj-gmp-6.1.1               63.6     2.6   1.3%
> /gnu/store/ykdzlcdyjjfhivids91d1xs36hmzrrp6-gmp-6.1.1               63.6     2.6   1.3%
> /gnu/store/janggjcj3c1a2wf5p6zrgxk50jdy0ibx-libgc-7.4.2             62.7     1.1   0.6%
> /gnu/store/dp61fnsknp4mi58vnq8jy0wyp0nl2id3-pkg-config-0.29         62.3     1.3   0.6%
> /gnu/store/xw9jv7krgy86f5pvnrc77zph25562n1n-acl-2.2.52              61.7     0.4   0.2%
> /gnu/store/27ygdlznld2s6bk8mw2hmbhbh517ahaq-libcap-2.24             61.4     0.1   0.1%
> /gnu/store/a64w9dq219a8d9k4mfz76mnzph9wsvfj-zlib-1.2.8              61.3     0.4   0.2%
> /gnu/store/hgg7bzyq84ny3b1j17c4hkdpx5xmvnw0-attr-2.4.47             61.2     0.2   0.1%
> /gnu/store/p153bawa5szcv4z6br9jrbwv3zq6qv5m-libffi-3.2.1            61.1     0.1   0.1%
> /gnu/store/lb6z629zg8p5raip9m9k2sris87qsgdn-libltdl-2.4.6           61.1     0.1   0.1%
> /gnu/store/cdi08kw7r6r684w8mk0xq0dkgpjhfpmd-gcc-4.9.4-lib           61.0    22.7  11.3%
> /gnu/store/qkw4zrwfybxww8f56nkb6hggxambk89b-bash-4.4.0              50.7     5.4   2.7%
> /gnu/store/bm0gfw4jkw8gd0vpnnzrb6z0xncrbx3p-readline-7.0            45.3     1.3   0.6%
> /gnu/store/hdrli1v7q3107w842s7di8rid82xlfvl-ncurses-6.0             44.0     5.7   2.8%
> /gnu/store/iwgi9001dmmihrjg4rqhd6pa6788prjw-glibc-2.24              38.3    36.8  18.4%
> /gnu/store/rvgmixpmsq5lqr9qflhkm70kg7a4rys2-bash-static-4.4.0        1.4     1.4   0.7%
> /gnu/store/idcrs9pr86mw3f5ya87ijhczn6zywxs6-libatomic-ops-7.4.2      0.6     0.6   0.3%
> total: 200.5 MiB
> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> We should at least remove the dependency on ld-wrapper, which is
> probably not justified.

This is because PostgreSQL installs its Makefile(!), which contain
absolute references to various build tools.

I pushed a fix to 'staging' in
e693617f559f49d1d2606dd5ad997e444b9ad1b5 that adjusts the Makefile to
use relative references.

(not sure whether it should be installed at all, but that is for a
future bug report)

The size of postgresql@13 decreased from 256.3 MiB to 137.9 MiB(!!).

Thanks!

Subject: PostgreSQL retains references to ld-wrapper and coreutils
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 09:57:36 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

As of 04fa4cdf95a004bda4d63b6578b53e154a4d4679:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ guix size postgresql
store item                                                       total    self
/gnu/store/awmx27f02la7sc4s63jxsdczclsf63gj-postgresql-9.5.5       200.5    20.0  10.0%
/gnu/store/c7lm5innppxm53bf5w7i99d59kjdyx27-ld-wrapper-0           152.8     0.0   0.0%
/gnu/store/6slzn4ixcjlhy3av3biglqfli9pwxcn9-guile-2.0.12           103.4    12.7   6.3%
/gnu/store/4xxd00drj8gjcr84xdfna44qak2vhwmf-binutils-2.27           87.6    49.3  24.6%
/gnu/store/9xfn6q7cxqxaxsv6kgiic9iygl2iv2ci-coreutils-8.25          78.8    14.4   7.2%
/gnu/store/9l52vcmb1ambc3ypf7nxn38ac0976yyf-tar-1.29                76.0     2.6   1.3%
/gnu/store/iz6rbi4r00jhwzbccnsbq1bbrbdi6h3d-readline-7.0            68.0     1.3   0.6%
/gnu/store/k0x973sjylvi746ib2xn4v1hjp855qq1-readline-7.0            68.0     1.3   0.6%
/gnu/store/yi8a0206zpqf6qijkn70938jj8l6s87b-ncurses-6.0             66.7     5.7   2.9%
/gnu/store/xydfiifs9slq0wv6n8j6p26icn2ihn88-ncurses-6.0             66.7     5.7   2.9%
/gnu/store/qj5sazmlzqbn2nlm7vxj6wjns0mm5x79-libunistring-0.9.6      65.4     4.5   2.2%
/gnu/store/frxwbfah0l9fr0j398vg3avsrmdfajnj-gmp-6.1.1               63.6     2.6   1.3%
/gnu/store/ykdzlcdyjjfhivids91d1xs36hmzrrp6-gmp-6.1.1               63.6     2.6   1.3%
/gnu/store/janggjcj3c1a2wf5p6zrgxk50jdy0ibx-libgc-7.4.2             62.7     1.1   0.6%
/gnu/store/dp61fnsknp4mi58vnq8jy0wyp0nl2id3-pkg-config-0.29         62.3     1.3   0.6%
/gnu/store/xw9jv7krgy86f5pvnrc77zph25562n1n-acl-2.2.52              61.7     0.4   0.2%
/gnu/store/27ygdlznld2s6bk8mw2hmbhbh517ahaq-libcap-2.24             61.4     0.1   0.1%
/gnu/store/a64w9dq219a8d9k4mfz76mnzph9wsvfj-zlib-1.2.8              61.3     0.4   0.2%
/gnu/store/hgg7bzyq84ny3b1j17c4hkdpx5xmvnw0-attr-2.4.47             61.2     0.2   0.1%
/gnu/store/p153bawa5szcv4z6br9jrbwv3zq6qv5m-libffi-3.2.1            61.1     0.1   0.1%
/gnu/store/lb6z629zg8p5raip9m9k2sris87qsgdn-libltdl-2.4.6           61.1     0.1   0.1%
/gnu/store/cdi08kw7r6r684w8mk0xq0dkgpjhfpmd-gcc-4.9.4-lib           61.0    22.7  11.3%
/gnu/store/qkw4zrwfybxww8f56nkb6hggxambk89b-bash-4.4.0              50.7     5.4   2.7%
/gnu/store/bm0gfw4jkw8gd0vpnnzrb6z0xncrbx3p-readline-7.0            45.3     1.3   0.6%
/gnu/store/hdrli1v7q3107w842s7di8rid82xlfvl-ncurses-6.0             44.0     5.7   2.8%
/gnu/store/iwgi9001dmmihrjg4rqhd6pa6788prjw-glibc-2.24              38.3    36.8  18.4%
/gnu/store/rvgmixpmsq5lqr9qflhkm70kg7a4rys2-bash-static-4.4.0        1.4     1.4   0.7%
/gnu/store/idcrs9pr86mw3f5ya87ijhczn6zywxs6-libatomic-ops-7.4.2      0.6     0.6   0.3%
total: 200.5 MiB
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

We should at least remove the dependency on ld-wrapper, which is
probably not justified.

Ludo’.