Subject: bug#25521: 26.0.50; After (make-frame '((name . "foo"))) (select-frame-by-name "foo") doesn't see the frame

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 10:33:18 +0200

> I think you might have to change window managers.

Then I'll probably prefer to rather not play around with this.

 > Hmm, that is actually less effect than I expected.  I recall now that
 > some non-relevant MapNotify events get sent in this case [1].  These
 > make x_wait_for_event (f, MapNotify) return earlier than the previous
 > busy wait.
 >
 > Should we wrap a timeout loop around the x_wait_for_event call?  Or make
 > the wait more selective (e.g., check that the given frame matches)?
 > Seems a bit like overkill considering that a timeout of longer than 1
 > second is unlikely to be wanted, on the other hand, we're not really
 > waiting for the right thing...
 >
 > [1]: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24091#57

Shouldn't it work to wait only for VisibilityNotify events for the given
frame?

martin