Subject: Re: bug#25521: 26.0.50; After (make-frame '((name . "foo"))) (select-frame-by-name "foo") doesn't see the frame

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 10:11:04 +0200

> Right, here's an update:

I would add to NEWS something like "'select-frame-by-name' now may
return a frame on another display if it does not find a suitable one on
the current display".

 > Huh.  I was not aware of those other functions.  Here's a patch which
 > makes the timeout in x_wait_for_event configurable, and uses it in
 > x_make_frame_visible.

Is there anything I could tweak here to observe a visible impact?  If I
set ‘x-wait-for-event-timeout’ to some large value nothing becomes
noticeable here, apparently because the frame is created fast enough.

Anyway, I'd proceed as follows:

(1) Install the xterm.c and w32term.c patches on the release branch.

(2) Ask Alex to play around with the settings.  If Alex can use the
     variable to change the behavior from bad to good and back and there
     are no problems with other users, let's consider this part as done
     and the bug closed.

(3) Install the ‘select-frame-by-name’ patch on the release branch.

The reason why I think that (3) is good to have despite of (1) is that
functions would behave reasonably well on systems where the user sets
the timeout to zero.  Thus people who, for some reason, cannot or do not
want a larger timeout have a fallback.  Differently put: A timeout of
zero should work well as default too.

But let's wait for Eli to make a decision.

Thanks, martin