Subject: Re: bug#25511: 26.0.50; modify-frame-parameters modifies undesignated parameter?

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2017 08:38:26 +0200

>>> Is there something more to do with this bug?
 >>
 >> Is there something more to do with bug#25521?
 >
 > Just the question of whether we should add back some delay after frame
 > creation, the original problem there is easily fixed by changing the
 > user code.  I gather from your question that it's the same for this bug?

Yes.  Problems in this area have existed for a long time.  Practically
all of them result from code using ‘make-frame’ followed by code that
immediately tries to read or modify properties of the frame to create.
For example, Bug#25511 has

(let ((frame (make-frame)))
   (modify-frame-parameters frame ...

while Bug#25521 has

   (make-frame '((name . "foo")
                 ...
   (select-frame-by-name "foo")

and, for example, Bug#25943 has

   (let  ((simple-frame   (make-frame  `((name       . "Simple Frame")
	 ...
       (unwind-protect
           (while  (progn
                     (set-frame-size  simple-frame ...

IIRC there were more similar reports.  BTW Bug#25943 was reported for an
Emacs 25.1 GTK build hence before you removed the delay to fix Bug#24091.

We could introduce some customizable delay and, whenever a bug in this
area is reported, tell people to increase that delay.  If the bug does
not disappear after the delay has gotten pretty large, we have a more
nasty problem.  Otherwise, we have perfidiously shifted responsibility
to the user.

martin