Subject: bug#25496: 25.1.91; INSIDE_EMACS env variable is not set in eshell

From: Federico Tedin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2020 12:08:43 +0200

>> I'll wait a couple of days (in case there are any more suggested
>> changes) and then push to master.
>
> Done.

Thanks!

> Would it be possible to reword this so that passive tense is used less
> frequently?  E.g., instead of "the variable with that name in the
> current environment will be returned", how about "return the variable
> with that name in the current environment"?  And similarly with the
> rest of the doc string.
>
> Thanks.

No problem, I've attached a patch with the changes.

>From 1e77ef50a7bf24e67fa6003bb768cdae2202a270 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Federico Tedin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2020 12:04:11 +0200
Subject: [PATCH] Reword documentation for eshell-variable-aliases-list

* lisp/eshell/esh-var.el (eshell-variable-aliases-list): Update
documentation string.
---
 lisp/eshell/esh-var.el | 30 +++++++++++++++---------------
 1 file changed, 15 insertions(+), 15 deletions(-)

diff --git a/lisp/eshell/esh-var.el b/lisp/eshell/esh-var.el
index 3093abd830..70516b3b82 100644
--- a/lisp/eshell/esh-var.el
+++ b/lisp/eshell/esh-var.el
@@ -183,24 +183,24 @@ eshell-variable-aliases-list
 compute the string value that will be returned when the variable is
 accessed via the syntax `$NAME'.
 
-If the value is a function, that function will be called with two
-arguments: the list of the indices that was used in the reference, and
-whether the user is requesting the length of the ultimate element.
-For example, a reference of `$NAME[10][20]' would result in the
-function for alias `NAME' being called (assuming it were aliased to a
-function), and the arguments passed to this function would be the list
-'(10 20)', and nil.
-
-If the value is a string, the value for the variable with that name in
-the current environment will be returned.  If no variable with that
-name exists in the environment, but if a symbol with that same name
-exists and has a value bound to it, then that value will be used.  You
-can prioritize symbol values over environment values by setting
+If the value is a function, call that function with two arguments: the
+list of the indices that was used in the reference, and whether the
+user is requesting the length of the ultimate element.  For example, a
+reference of `$NAME[10][20]' would result in the function for alias
+`NAME' being called (assuming it were aliased to a function), and the
+arguments passed to this function would be the list '(10 20)', and
+nil.
+
+If the value is a string, return the value for the variable with that
+name in the current environment.  If no variable with that name exists
+in the environment, but if a symbol with that same name exists and has
+a value bound to it, return its value instead.  You can prioritize
+symbol values over environment values by setting
 `eshell-prefer-lisp-variables' to t.
 
-If the value is a symbol, the value bound to that symbol will be used.
+If the value is a symbol, return the value bound to it.
 
-If the value has any other type, `error' will be signaled.
+If the value has any other type, signal `error'.
 
 Additionally, each member may specify if it should be copied to the
 environment of created subprocesses."
-- 
2.17.1