Subject: Re: bug#25496: 25.1.91; INSIDE_EMACS env variable is not set in eshell

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 20:21:20 -0400

Federico Tedin <[email-masked]> writes:

> Pinging this thread again in case a maintainer can take a look at the
> patch I submitted on my last message.

Thanks for the ping, I had forgotten about this one.

> * lisp/eshell/em-dirs.el (eshell-dirs-initialize): Add INSIDE_EMACS
> variable to buffer-local value of eshell-variable-aliases-alist.
> * lisp/eshell/esh-var.el (eshell-variable-aliases-list): Update doc
> string; remove mention of eshell-user-aliases-list and explain that

I think eshell-user-aliases-list was meant to refer to
eshell-command-aliases-list (though maybe the reference isn't really
needed anyway).

> +           ("INSIDE_EMACS" ,(lambda (_indices)
> +                              (format "%s,eshell" emacs-version))

Since emacs-version generally doesn't change during an Emacs session, is
there any need for a lambda at all here?

>    "This list provides aliasing for variable references.
> -It is very similar in concept to what `eshell-user-aliases-list' does
> -for commands.  Each member of this defines the name of a command,
> -and the Lisp value to return for that variable if it is accessed
> -via the syntax `$NAME'.
> +Each member of this defines the name of a command, and the Lisp value
               ^^^^^^^                       ^^^^^^^
> +to return for that variable if it is accessed via the syntax `$NAME'.

(These problems weren't introduced by your patch, but) I think the "of
this" is redundant, and it should say "variable" instead of "command".