Subject: Re: bug#25496: 25.1.91; INSIDE_EMACS env variable is not set in eshell

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 21:44:30 -0400

Federico Tedin <[email-masked]> writes:

> I've removed the lambda, but I wasn't able to use a string directly, I
> had to set the value elsewhere using a defconst. This is due to how
> `eshell-get-variable' interprets string values associated to
> variables.

Oh, a string is actually taken as an environment variable to alias.  I
guess that does justify the name.  I think we might actually be better
off with the lambda, what do you think?

>    "This list provides aliasing for variable references.
> -It is very similar in concept to what `eshell-user-aliases-list' does
> -for commands.  Each member of this defines the name of a command,
> -and the Lisp value to return for that variable if it is accessed
> -via the syntax `$NAME'.
> +Each member defines the name of a variable, and the Lisp value to
> +return for that variable if it is accessed via the syntax `$NAME'.

Again, not a problem introduced by your patch, but "Lisp value to
return" seem pretty inaccurate (if you don't feel like fixing this, it's
okay, I think describing it correctly is somewhat non-trivial).