Subject: bug#25493: closed (Re: bug#25493: 26.0.50; ediff merge should (optionally) show ancestor in fourth window)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2017 07:44:02 +0000

Your bug report

#25493: 26.0.50; ediff merge should (optionally) show ancestor in fourth window

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
25493: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=25493
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#25493: 26.0.50; ediff merge should (optionally) show ancestor in fourth window
From: Tino Calancha <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2017 16:43:38 +0900
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

[email-masked] writes:

>> Subject: [PATCH 2/2] Show ancestor buffer in 3way merges
>>
>> Add an option ediff-show-ancestor', to control if the ancestor buffer
>> must be shown in 3way merges (Bug#25493);  set it non-nil by default.
>                                            ^^
> Extra space there.
Thanks.
>> -
>> -    ;; In case of merge job, fool it into thinking that it is just doing
>> -    ;; comparison
>> -    (let ((ediff-setup-diff-regions-function ediff-setup-diff-regions-function)
>> -	  (ediff-3way-comparison-job ediff-3way-comparison-job)
>> -	  (ediff-merge-job ediff-merge-job)
>> -	  (ediff-merge-with-ancestor-job ediff-merge-with-ancestor-job)
>> -	  (ediff-job-name ediff-job-name))
>> -      (if ediff-merge-job
>> -	  (setq ediff-setup-diff-regions-function 'ediff-setup-diff-regions3
>> -		ediff-3way-comparison-job t
>> -		ediff-merge-job nil
>> -		ediff-merge-with-ancestor-job nil
>> -		ediff-job-name 'ediff-files3))
>> -      (funcall ediff-setup-diff-regions-function file-A file-B file-C))
>> -
>> +    (funcall ediff-setup-diff-regions-function file-A file-B
>> +             (if ediff-merge-with-ancestor-job file-Ancestor file-C))
>
> It works when I tested it, so I guess this is correct, but it's not
> really obvious to me why (i.e., why we no longer need to "fool it").
> Could you add an explanation to the commit message?
Now I mention that this trick is not necessary.  Before the patch there
were several parts of the code executed only if
`ediff-3way-comparison-job' was non-nil.  After the patch, those parts
of the code also test if `ediff-merge-with-ancestor-job' is non-nil;
that's why we don't need to fool it anymore.
> Otherwise looks good to me.
Thank you.
Pushed to master as commit 0f3d1b782353fd1fc0ab5f89d47d9e790f44e6b2

Subject: 26.0.50; ediff merge should (optionally) show ancestor in fourth window
From: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2017 12:17:46 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

It would be very useful if ediff merge could optionally display the
ancestor in a fourth window, like vimdiff or meld.  See
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2017-01/msg00204.html.

In GNU Emacs 26.0.50.40 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8)
 of 2017-01-19 built on localhost
Repository revision: 8c0fcaf66733f0538a3f024f383cb34a3c93d73c
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Source file ‘/usr/local/google/home/phst/ThirdParty/Emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/derived.el’ newer than byte-compiled file

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --enable-checking
 --enable-check-lisp-object-type 'CFLAGS=-ggdb3 -O0''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND GSETTINGS NOTIFY GNUTLS FREETYPE XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message subr-x puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec
password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 97616 6566)
 (symbols 48 20221 1)
 (miscs 40 331 156)
 (strings 32 17989 4269)
 (string-bytes 1 592161)
 (vectors 16 14072)
 (vector-slots 8 471896 4520)
 (floats 8 181 46)
 (intervals 56 206 0)
 (buffers 976 12)
 (heap 1024 31236 1025))

-- 
Google Germany GmbH
Erika-Mann-Straße 33
80636 München

Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Geschäftsführer: Matthew Scott Sucherman, Paul Terence Manicle

Diese E-Mail ist vertraulich.  Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind,
leiten Sie diese bitte nicht weiter, informieren Sie den Absender und löschen
Sie die E-Mail und alle Anhänge.  Vielen Dank.

This e-mail is confidential.  If you are not the right addressee please do not
forward it, please inform the sender, and please erase this e-mail including
any attachments.  Thanks.