Subject: 25.1; gdb package interpreter problem

From: Randy Yates <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 20:33:54 +0000

this bug is for the gdb package, when debugging remotely. an extraneous
space is appended to the <path-to-exe> given in a "set remote exec-file
<path-to-exe>" command. this is causing the subsequent debug commands
(start, run, etc.) to fail.

presumably this is a bug in the interpreter adding an extraneous space.
note that the same commands issued to a command-line gdb instance work
fine.

Step-by-step
------------

1. configure remote system by running "gdbserver --multi localhost:<port>"

2. on host system, run emacs, then "M-x gdb <ret> -i=mi"

3. at the gdb prompt:

  file <path-to-exe>
  target extended-remote <remote-host-ip-addr>:<port>
  set remote exec-file <path-to-exe>
  start

4.on the remote side, note the message:

  "Cannot exec <path-to-exe> : No such file or directory."

specifically, note the space between "<path-to-exe>" and ":", which
should not be there. this is the extraneous space.

In GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.20.9)
 of 2016-10-13 built on buildvm-05.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11804000
Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-gpm=no --with-xwidgets build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g
 -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
 -grecord-gcc-switches -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1
 -m64 -mtune=generic' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XWIDGETS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: rcirc

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  use-hard-newlines: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
nnimap read 17k from localhost
nnimap read 25k from localhost
nnimap read 34k from localhost
Mark set
Quit [2 times]
Making completion list...
Quit [2 times]
Making completion list...
Quit [2 times]
Mark set
Quit

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/progmodes/cpp hides ./cpp

Features:
(shadow emacsbug dictionary link connection eieio-opt speedbar sb-image
ezimage dframe find-func rcirc gdb-mi bindat json map gud search-utils
sd-src-utils tramp-sh browse-url filecache cus-edit jka-compr info
tabify imenu man dired-aux vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs flow-fill tramp-cache
tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver ucs-normalize advice
conf-mode vc-git diff-mode whitespace pulse make-mode pcmpl-unix qp
mm-archive rect thingatpt ggtags etags xref project ewoc edmacro kmacro
cscope c-comment-edit cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs log-edit easy-mmode
pcvs-util add-log vc-cvs vc-rcs pp misearch multi-isearch vc-svn
tex-mode compile shell pcomplete comint ring latexenc server mailalias
nnir sort ansi-color gnus-cite mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml
disp-table nndraft nnmh utf-7 nnfolder network-stream nsm starttls
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap nntp gnus-cache
gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source tls gnutls utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range message idna dired format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epg
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader wid-edit paren time delsel
cus-start cus-load vc vc-dispatcher derived my-keys mailrc invoices
my-easl-utils my-slime my-color-theme my-tags my-programming-utils
my-packages my-grep-find-file my-dictionary my-compile my-project
my-ggtags my-git ido smtpmail sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mail-utils url-util url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs gnus-util mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars
my-utils my-gnus email-html cl finder-inf package epg-config seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode easymenu cconv
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
xwidget-internal move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1085807 195400)
 (symbols 48 164211 94)
 (miscs 40 8539 3854)
 (strings 32 222707 17481)
 (string-bytes 1 6015145)
 (vectors 16 62826)
 (vector-slots 8 1069367 52625)
 (floats 8 613 2889)
 (intervals 56 97658 1231)
 (buffers 976 273)
 (heap 1024 269956 169705))