Subject: bug#25482: 26.0.50; Allow setting `query-replace-from-to-separator` to nil

From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2017 11:43:48 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thanks, but I don't understand why you want to get rid of the display
> property.

This complicate the code and force external apps to handle this, see
https://github.com/emacs-helm/helm/commit/2b8576c0705145b5d133e41478976eef5b3d7390

> (I also object to calling the result of that "crap".)

Sorry, but it is:

Selecting foo → bar in a list results in foo^@bar being entered into the
minibuffer, not with the query-replace interface but when handling the
history list from somewhere else.

> I'd rather we left the display property and its supporting code
> intact, and only moved the char-displayable-p call to the place where
> the string is used instead of having it in the defcustom, thus
> allowing customizations with setq.  That should solve the real
> problems with the current code, leaving the style-related issues
> alone.

It doesn't see above.

> I realize that you don't like that style, but I think we should
> respect style preferences of others and not change their code just
> because we would have written it differently.

The patch change nothing and allow same customization as before.

I wrote this patch because I think it makes the code better, allow
easier customization and fix issue described above.

I understand if you want to keep the code as it is to be sure nothing
wrong is introduced in a code that is already "working".

Thanks.

-- 
Thierry