Subject: bug#25482: 26.0.50; Allow setting `query-replace-from-to-separator` to nil

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 21:06:15 +0200

> From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2017 16:16:34 +0100
> 
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > I'm asking whether the (fixed) behavior, whereby using setq to change
> > the value to " -> " would add the ASCII string " -> " to the
> > minibuffer history, would be acceptable.  If not, please tell why.
> 
> Would be good, but we will have to modify also
> `query-replace--split-string` just for this purpose as it assume the
> separator is one char long and have a text property 'separator.

I'm afraid we are mis-communicating.  The current code uses a null
character as the separator, giving it a display property and a
separator property.  The display property uses a non-ASCII character
(→).  What I wanted to suggest is to keep the same code, and just
allow users to specify the ASCII string " -> " for the display
property.  That should be much simpler than your proposed patch, and I
don't really see how it would add non-ASCII characters to your
minibuffer history.  It also eliminates the need for making changes in
query-replace--split-string.  What am I missing?

Thanks.