Subject: bug#25478: closed (Re: bug#25478: [PATCH] Reimplement auto-saving to visited files)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2020 12:12:02 +0000

Your bug report

#25478: 26.0.50; No hooks are called when auto-saving

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
25478: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=25478
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#25478: [PATCH] Reimplement auto-saving to visited files
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2020 05:11:50 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> schrieb am Sa., 29. Apr. 2017 um 21:21 Uhr:
>>
>>  > From: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
>>  > Cc: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
>>  > Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2017 20:49:09 +0200
>>  >
>>  > +on @code{auto-save-visited-mode}.  See @xref{Auto Save Control} for
>>
>>  @xref itself produces "See", so the "See" before it is unnecessary.
>>
>>  Other than that, I think this can go in.  Thanks for working on this.
>>
>> Thanks, pushed as 4db844a453 and 89159e78bb.
>
> It seems like all the patches here were pushed.  Should this therefore
> also be closed, or is there more to do here?

More information was requested, but none was given within 7 weeks, so
I'm closing this bug.  If this is still an issue, please reply to this
email (use "Reply to all" in your email client) and we can reopen the
bug report.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

Subject: 26.0.50; No hooks are called when auto-saving
From: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 22:39:13 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The Emacs manual states:

"If you want auto-saving to be done in the visited file rather than in
a separate auto-save file, set the variable
‘auto-save-visited-file-name’ to a non-‘nil’ value.  In this mode, there
is no real difference between auto-saving and explicit saving."

However, there is a significant difference between auto-saving and
explicit saving, even in this mode: auto-saving doesn't run
before-save-hook, after-save-hook, write-contents-functions, or
write-file-functions.  Either some of these hooks should be run during
auto-saving if auto-save-visited-file-name is t, or new hooks should be
created to run in this case.

In GNU Emacs 26.0.50.38 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8)
 of 2017-01-18 built on localhost
Repository revision: 5fefaaa8c0696ba4b7b6e1e89267aa10fff88b31
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Recent messages:
Sending email 
Sending email done
Sending...done

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --enable-checking
 --enable-check-lisp-object-type 'CFLAGS=-ggdb3 -O0''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND GSETTINGS NOTIFY GNUTLS FREETYPE XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(network-stream nsm starttls tls gnutls mailalias smtpmail auth-source
cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs qp cus-edit cus-start
cus-load wid-edit pp shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message subr-x puny
seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode cconv
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util
rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 125369 10956)
 (symbols 48 22403 1)
 (miscs 40 373 277)
 (strings 32 23633 8700)
 (string-bytes 1 753869)
 (vectors 16 22889)
 (vector-slots 8 1256392 202843)
 (floats 8 225 207)
 (intervals 56 502 0)
 (buffers 976 16)
 (heap 1024 42683 5682))

-- 
Google Germany GmbH
Erika-Mann-Straße 33
80636 München

Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Geschäftsführer: Matthew Scott Sucherman, Paul Terence Manicle

Diese E-Mail ist vertraulich.  Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind,
leiten Sie diese bitte nicht weiter, informieren Sie den Absender und löschen
Sie die E-Mail und alle Anhänge.  Vielen Dank.

This e-mail is confidential.  If you are not the right addressee please do not
forward it, please inform the sender, and please erase this e-mail including
any attachments.  Thanks.