Subject: bug#25468: closed (Re: bug#25468: 26.0.50; Can't load htmlfontify if shell binary doesn't exist)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 18:00:03 +0000

Your bug report

#25468: 26.0.50; Can't load htmlfontify if shell binary doesn't exist

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
25468: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=25468
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#25468: 26.0.50; Can't load htmlfontify if shell binary doesn't exist
From: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
To: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 17:59:07 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]> schrieb am Di., 24. Jan. 2017 um
17:43 Uhr:

> Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]> schrieb am Di., 17. Jan. 2017 um
> 19:23 Uhr:
>
> Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> schrieb am Di., 17. Jan. 2017 um 18:34 Uhr:
>
>
> I don't see a need for hfy-which-etags to go via the shell at all,
> so a better change to me would be to use call-process instead of
> shell-command-to-string there. I see there's also hfy-shell-file-name
> for some reason.
>
>
> Good point, here's another patch.
>
>
> Unless there are further comments, I'll push this patch to master in a few
> days.
>

Pushed as 107a0c4caa.

Subject: 26.0.50; Can't load htmlfontify if shell binary doesn't exist
From: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 15:19:59 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

$ SHELL=/doesnotexist src/emacs -Q -batch -l htmlfontify ; echo $?
Searching for program: No such file or directory, /doesnotexist
255

This is of course a rather rare edge case, but I think that
unavailability of a shell shouldn't prevent htmlfontify from loading.
The shell is only used to initialize hfy-etags-cmd, this variable could
simply be initialized to nil if no shell is found, similar to when no
etags binary is found.

In GNU Emacs 26.0.50.30 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8)
 of 2017-01-17 built on localhost
Repository revision: 5362ef79cbb195f9df38f71b4d64e290cd7d9f50
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --enable-checking
 --enable-check-lisp-object-type 'CFLAGS=-ggdb3 -O0''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND GSETTINGS NOTIFY GNUTLS FREETYPE XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message subr-x puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec
password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 97831 8478)
 (symbols 48 20220 1)
 (miscs 40 331 131)
 (strings 32 18031 4413)
 (string-bytes 1 592989)
 (vectors 16 14093)
 (vector-slots 8 473001 6992)
 (floats 8 181 10)
 (intervals 56 218 0)
 (buffers 976 12)
 (heap 1024 36888 965))

-- 
Google Germany GmbH
Erika-Mann-Straße 33
80636 München

Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Geschäftsführer: Matthew Scott Sucherman, Paul Terence Manicle

Diese E-Mail ist vertraulich.  Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind,
leiten Sie diese bitte nicht weiter, informieren Sie den Absender und löschen
Sie die E-Mail und alle Anhänge.  Vielen Dank.

This e-mail is confidential.  If you are not the right addressee please do not
forward it, please inform the sender, and please erase this e-mail including
any attachments.  Thanks.