Subject: bug#25462: Out of date doc string for "`".

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 20:40:08 +0000

Hello again, Noam.

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 04:52:36PM -0500, Noam Postavsky wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 4:30 PM, Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > Hello, Emacs.

> > The doc string for "`" has become partial.

> > It fails to mention that "`" has a radically different meaning when used
> > in certain parts of a `pcase', and probably quite a few other similar
> > macros.

> I don't think that makes sense. Similarly, we don't add a mention of
> `cl-loop's use of `if' in the docstring of `if', because that's not
> part of the `if' special form. It's just a use of `if' as a plain
> symbol.

In cl-loop, you might have "if", but you're never going to have "(if
...", are you?  If this is correct, then `if' is not used in a way that
could be confused with the special form.

This doesn't apply to ` as used in pcase.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).