Subject: bug#25454: 25.1; improvement ftoopy-from-above-command

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2019 09:57:16 -0400

Francesco Potortì <[email-masked]> writes:

>>>Lars:
>>>>Seems a bit small for a separate package.  And the repeated call thing
>>>>could be useful in itself.  Couldn't the increment behaviour be enabled
>>>>by a non-numeric argument instead?
>
>>Francesco Potortì <[email-masked]> writes:
>>> What do you suggest?  Maybe M-3 M-p copies the next three characters,
>>> while C-u 3 M-p increments by three?
>
>>M-3 and C-u 3 do the same thing, I think?
>
> They normally do.  And they do in this case.  But it can be changed, and
> I was following up with your suggestion, with a proposal for a different
> user interface where M-3 and C-u 3 do different things.

No, both C-u 3 and M-3 will set the prefix argument to 3, so commands
cannot distinguish between them.  I know I suggested the numeric vs
non-numeric thing, but I think I was just confused about it.
Non-numeric arguments are only good for a single toggle (increment vs no
increment), not control over a amount (increment by X).  And you can't
express both at once (both increment and repeat).