Subject: bug#25453: closed (Re: bug#25453: Inconsistent keyboard layout affecting encrypted root)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2019 22:22:02 +0000

Your bug report

#25453: Inconsistent keyboard layout affecting encrypted root

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
25453: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=25453
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#25453: Inconsistent keyboard layout affecting encrypted root
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2019 23:21:10 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Chris!

[email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> Christopher Baines <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> I'm using a UK keyboard layout with a computer that I recently installed
>> GuixSD on with a encrypted root parition. Immediately after installation
>> when I attempted to boot in to the new system for the first time I had
>> to enter the passphrase twice, and in doing this, first I had to use the
>> keyboard layout under which I carried out the installation (the layout
>> which I had intended to use), and then during the early boot stage of
>> the system I had to enter the passphrase using a different keyboard
>> layout.
>
> Currently installing a keymap is something done by the ‘console-keymap’
> Shepherd service, which invokes ‘loadkeys’.  That happens after
> “cryptsetup --open” has opened your encrypted root device, hence the
> problem.

This is finally fixed by commit
ae7a316b9da0d1a50c5abdc531c68c8e98e561c9, which initializes the console
keyboard layout straight from the initrd.

Ludo’.

Subject: Inconsistent keyboard layout affecting encrypted root
From: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 06:55:24 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I'm using a UK keyboard layout with a computer that I recently installed
GuixSD on with a encrypted root parition. Immediately after installation
when I attempted to boot in to the new system for the first time I had
to enter the passphrase twice, and in doing this, first I had to use the
keyboard layout under which I carried out the installation (the layout
which I had intended to use), and then during the early boot stage of
the system I had to enter the passphrase using a different keyboard
layout.

The ideal behaviour here is that the way in which the passphrase is set
in the installer is the way in which it has to be entered into Grub and
during the early boot of the system.