Subject: bug#25453: Keyboard layout configuration

From: Taylan Kammer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 20:34:15 +0100

nee <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Am 13.01.19 um 22:36 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
>>> 1) grub
>>> 2) linux's initrd
>>> 3) console
>>> 4) X/wayland's layout
>>> 5) How to do the above
>> 
>
> Hello, I was working on this recently and made a patch for X11 that
> fixes the layout in the slim login and when you login into gnome3 or
> whatever desktop environment.
>
> I also made a patch for grub that fixes the layout when you edit the
> boot command for a menu entry, but not for the luks prompt. I think that
> might require installing a custom grub image (grub-mkimage) with
> grub-bios-setup instead of using grub-install (I saw some posts on the
> archlinux forum I don't have a link to right now). But this patch should
> lay the groundwork for it, as it can generate grub keyboard config files.
>
> The patches are pretty dirty, but I might not have that much time in the
> next few weeks to work on this, and since is hot on the mailing list
> right now, I'm sending them here now.

Heya, just wanted to give my personal thanks for working on this. :-) As
a user of an unusual keyboard layout (Colemak), this is one of my main
pet annoyances with Guix.

And by the way, an unpleasent off-topic issue:

After getting curious and visiting the homepage of your email domain
'cock.li' I was at first amused to see Chen from Touhou, but then pretty
sad to see a frivolous use of racist and sexist slurs and what I guess
is supposed to be "humorously meant hate speech" (thinking of the domain
name "nuke.africa" for instance).  I understand that this is probably
supposed to be a kind of childish black humor (I spent a lot of time on
4chan back in my time) but let's not forget that we're not, in fact,
children anymore, and that stuff like this can be quite seriously
upsetting to some people.  Imagine that we have, say, a middle-aged
African computer scientist in our community, who isn't familiar with
such "humor", or a young female college student with a background in a
conservative family with rigid gender roles, and consider how they might
feel after seeing domain names like "getbackinthe.kitchen", "nigge.rs",
and the like.  I'd urge you to use another address for correspondence
with an open community like this one, given that anyone could get
curious like me and visit the homepage of your domain.

- Taylan