Subject: bug#25453: Inconsistent keyboard layout affecting encrypted root

From: Chris Marusich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 23:05:44 -0800

[email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Hi!
>
> Christopher Baines <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> I'm using a UK keyboard layout with a computer that I recently installed
>> GuixSD on with a encrypted root parition. Immediately after installation
>> when I attempted to boot in to the new system for the first time I had
>> to enter the passphrase twice, and in doing this, first I had to use the
>> keyboard layout under which I carried out the installation (the layout
>> which I had intended to use), and then during the early boot stage of
>> the system I had to enter the passphrase using a different keyboard
>> layout.
>
> Currently installing a keymap is something done by the ‘console-keymap’
> Shepherd service, which invokes ‘loadkeys’.  That happens after
> “cryptsetup --open” has opened your encrypted root device, hence the
> problem.
>
> Should we install the keymap right in the initrd, before we’ve mounted
> the root partition?  That would require copying the right keymap(s) and
> probably ‘loadkeys’ to the initrd, which might make it quite big.
>
> Suggestions?  How do others handle it?
>
> Thanks for your report,
> Ludo’.

I may be wrong, but keep in mind that Grub and other bootloaders might
require their own configuration to set the keyboard layout, also.

-- 
Chris