Subject: bug#25443: Unnecessary building of dictionary files

From: [email-masked] (Phillip Lord)
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 12:04:00 +0000

Richard Stallman <[email-masked]> writes:

> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
> [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]
>
>   > AFAICT, we cannot update CTLau.html from a downstream source any
>   > longer. And either way, it has not been updated since 2001, except for a
>   > change to formatted in the licence comments.
>
> If this is because no one has wanted to change it, then it is neither
> here nor there.

It cannot be updated from the original source, because that source has
gone.

>   > I agree with this position, but I see no moral or ethical issue in
>   > changing our minds about what the real source code is. I have raised a
>   > technical question; I think it only needs a technical answer.
>
> I agree with that formulation of the issue.
>
> If we have changes to make, would we rather make them on CTLau.html,
> or on the processed Elisp-format file?
>
> Has anyone talked with Handa-san?
> When did we last hear from him?

Answering in order: I think either would work, no, and I don't know.

I will contact him now.

Phil