Subject: bug#25441: 26.0.50; Can't autocomplete symbol names ending in ?

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2017 14:16:43 -0500

tag 25441 notabug
quit

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 1:07 PM, Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>
> Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]> schrieb am Fr., 13. Jan. 2017 um
> 19:04 Uhr:
>>
>>
>> In *scratch*, write
>>
>> (defun foo? ())
>>
>> and hit C-j to evaluate the definition.  Then, try to display the help
>> screen of foo? using C-h f foo? RET.  The minibuffer won't let you enter
>> ? or auto-complete foo to foo?, even though ? can be part of a symbol.
>
>
> I've just found that the Emacs manual documents this behavior (? prints a
> list of possible completions). Given that ? can only have one function, and
> the current one does make sense, this behavior is rather a design choice
> than a bug. Closing.

For the record, this can be changed by unbinding
`minibuffer-completion-help' from `minibuffer-local-completion-map':

(define-key minibuffer-local-completion-map "?" nil)