Subject: bug#25435: 25.1; auto-fill-mode is enabled with 1, disabled with 0

From: Francesco Potortì <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2017 21:09:37 +0100

Date: 13 Jan 2017 21:08:33 +0100

>> If the behaviour is the intended one, then probably the doc string
>> should be amended to add the word "Additionally" at the beginning of the
>> second sentence, like this:
>
>Surely common sense tells you that is the intended meaning?

Well, when reading specifications, I tend to put common sense apart and
look at the literal meaning :)

I think that the way it is worded it may sound ambguous.  in fact, it
has sounded wrong for me.  So, why not add a single word to clarify
things?

>There are about 130 instances of this form in Emacs.
>There are 4 instances of ", also enable", maybe you prefer that?

I suppose you mean something like:

--
With a prefix argument ARG, enable Auto Fill mode if ARG is positive,
and disable it otherwise.  If called from Lisp, also enable the mode if
ARG is omitted or nil.

Yes, maybe it is even clearer and simpler than what I proposed.

>Feel feel to correct them all, I guess, if it bothers you that much. :)

Ok, that amounts to probably never.  In the last years I have barely the
time to report bugs and follow up on them.  Not even always.  Thanks
anyway.

>See also #13926, and #10754. An automatic solution like 10754 seems
>best to me.

This is a special week, when I have little workload and am trying to
shorten my backlog.  Maybe one day I will find the time and energy to
look at those.  Maybe tomorrow, maybe never, who knows :)