Subject: bug#25420: Unknown encoding 8bit;; defaulting to 8bit

From: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2017 00:44:28 +0800

OK I'm sending it to them.

Dear bug-gnu-emacs:

>>>>> "KY" == Katsumi Yamaoka <[email-masked]> writes:
KY> On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 08:39:21 +0800, 積丹尼さん wrote:
>> [1. application/gzip; smsc.cpio.gz]...

KY> Thanks.  I could reproduce the problem; a workaround is below.
KY> Feel free to forward this reply to the Emacs bug list or other.

KY> (defadvice ietf-drums-strip (after remove-garbage activate)
KY>   "Remove garbage."
KY>   (let ((regexp (concat "[" ietf-drums-tspecials "]+")))
KY>     (while (string-match regexp ad-return-value)
KY>       (setq ad-return-value
KY> 	    (concat (substring ad-return-value 0 (match-beginning 0))
KY> 		    (substring ad-return-value (match-end 0)))))))

KY> A mail that contains this header

KY> 	Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit;

KY> causes Gnus to issue the following warning:

KY> 	Unknown encoding 8bit;; defaulting to 8bit

KY> This means that Gnus doesn't know the encoding method named:

KY> 8bit;

KY> Note that this is not "8bit", but "8bit;".  This is due to a bug
KY> of a certain mail software.  Gnus does no bad.  But it is easy
KY> and harmless to make Gnus fix it, so, I think we had better do
KY> something like the above workaround if it generally happens.
KY> I'm not quite sure whether using `ietf-drums-tspecials' is the
KY> right choice, though.