Subject: bug#25415: closed (Re: bug#25415: MySQL "server has gone away" when reloading database dump due to "max_allowed_packet" default)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 10:03:05 +0000

Your bug report

#25415: MySQL "server has gone away" when reloading database dump due to "max_allowed_packet" default

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
25415: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=25415
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#25415: MySQL "server has gone away" when reloading database dump due to "max_allowed_packet" default
From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 11:54:10 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Wed, 05 Jan 2022 at 00:00, zimoun <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2021 at 02:51, zimoun <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On Tue, 12 Oct 2021 at 23:42, zimoun <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 at 13:51, zimoun <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>> On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 at 10:29, Ben Sturmfels <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>>> On 13/01/17 01:22, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

> The bug is open since 2017 without any inputs despite my 3 questions.
> Therefore, I will close it in one month from now if there is no more
> interest in.  The backlog is already enough long. :-)

Done.

Cheers,
simon

Subject: MySQL "server has gone away" when reloading database dump due to "max_allowed_packet" default
From: Ben Sturmfels <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 11:10:03 +1100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi there!

I'm using GuixSD 0.12.0 and ran `guix package --install=mysql` (which
I gather gave me MariaDB 10.1.19), then created a database and tried to
reload a database dump of a decent sized existing database:

  zcat dump.sql.gz | mysql DBNAME

which failed with:

  ERROR 2006 (HY000) at line 2266: MySQL server has gone away

Reloading the same dump works for me on default MySQL in Trisquel 7.
The database dump was created on Debian with `mysqldump --no-create-db
DBNAME`.

On Guix, I was able to reload the dump by running mysqld with a custom
config file with max_allowed_packet=16M under [mysqld].

It appears that the default value for `max_allowed_packet` under
Debian/Trisquel is "16M", where under Guix it is "4M". The mysqldump
defaults bunche a whole lot of records into a single insert statement
for performance, which is why I'm getting a value > 4M.

Could it be worth setting max_allowed_packet to 16M in Guix's
`mysql-configuration-file` function for consistency with Debian?

Regards,
Ben