Subject: bug#25408: Remove Decorations Around Emacs Frame (Windows OS)

From: Arthur Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 08:08:44 +0100

"We call it "Losedows" or "Lose OS", because if you use it, you lose
your freedom.

We're glad if Emacs gives you a taste of freedom, but a taste is
all it can give you.  To escape from Microsoft's power, you need to
stop using Losedows."

Haha :-) Indeed.

I do run Arch Linux otherwise, but I do some consulting with programming
databases and GUIs in access & spss and I also play some games
occasionally, so I still need losedows. I know I could run it in wine and
pass through vga, but I feel a bit too old for that :).

This was a great excursion in Emacs src code. I added above mention
method to my w32fns.c, added FRAME_DECORATED() macro to frame.h
a boolean_bf undecorated :1, to frame struct, initiated it to false in
"make_frame"
added an entry to frame_parms: {"undecorated",        SYMBOL_INDEX
(Qundecorated)},
added connecction to w32_frame_parm_handlers[] to x_set_undecorated at same
place where symbol is declared in frame_parms (last in the list), added an
INLINE void fset_undecorated( ... ) to frame.h (not sure if it is needed),
and now
I can change my new param with lisp from emacs, but my connection seem
never to be called.

By the way, I think world is better without borders, so I have modified
Martin's
x_set_undecorated to

void
x_set_undecorated (struct frame *f, Lisp_Object new_value, Lisp_Object
old_value)
{
  HWND hwnd = FRAME_W32_WINDOW (f);
  DWORD dwStyle = GetWindowLong (hwnd, GWL_STYLE);
  /*Lisp_Object border_width = Fcdr (Fassq (Qborder_width,
f->param_alist));*/
  /*Lisp_Object undecorated = Fcdr (Fassq (Qundecorated, f->param_alist));*/

  block_input ();
  if (!NILP (new_value) && !FRAME_UNDECORATED (f))
    {
      dwStyle = (dwStyle & ~WS_THICKFRAME & ~WS_CAPTION);
      SetWindowLong (hwnd, GWL_STYLE, dwStyle);
      SetWindowPos (hwnd, HWND_TOP, 0, 0, 0, 0,
                    SWP_NOSIZE | SWP_NOMOVE | SWP_NOZORDER | SWP_NOACTIVATE
                    | SWP_FRAMECHANGED);
      FRAME_UNDECORATED (f) = true;
    }
  else if (NILP (new_value) && FRAME_UNDECORATED (f))
    {
      SetWindowLong (hwnd, GWL_STYLE, dwStyle | WS_THICKFRAME | WS_CAPTION
                     | WS_MAXIMIZEBOX | WS_MINIMIZEBOX | WS_SYSMENU);
      SetWindowPos (hwnd, HWND_TOP, 0, 0, 0, 0,
                    SWP_NOSIZE | SWP_NOMOVE | SWP_NOZORDER | SWP_NOACTIVATE
                    | SWP_FRAMECHANGED);
      FRAME_UNDECORATED (f) = false;
    }
  unblock_input ();
}

So it should just switch on "undecorated" param and ignore borders (at
least I hope). I am not sure where do
I have to make change more to get it to work.

2017-01-10 21:39 GMT+01:00 Clément Pit--Claudel <[email-masked]>:

> On 2017-01-10 13:27, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Then I suggest to add this to Emacs.  That some wm's ignore it is not
> > a reason to avoid having the feature for those that don't ignore it.
>
> Indeed, it would be wonderful!
>
>