Subject: bug#25408: Remove Decorations Around Emacs Frame (NS port)

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2017 17:58:49 +0200

> Maybe we could add a couple of custom cursors, it looks like there’s a
 > way to do that. Do we have a standard set of cursor images to use?

No idea.  IIUC there's no consensus on what is available on the various
OS.

 > It appears that making the child frame invisible ‘disconnects’ it from
 > the parent frame, so the next time it’s made visible it no longer
 > moves with the parent. I guess I’ll have to make sure that when a
 > frame is made visible it’s reconnected with it’s parent. Or find a way
 > to prevent it disconnecting. It seems a really odd thing for it to do.

Annoying.  A similar thing happens with the z-group property on X where
I reinstall it from its stored value whenever the frame becomes visible
(see lines 8108--8111 in xterm.c).  I suppose we should do something
similar on NS.  And maybe that's not the only property that gets reset
here or there ...

 > Resizing the child frame with the mouse doesn’t work, is it supposed
 > to?

Definitely.  Do you see an internal border?  Do you see a changing
cursor at that border when the mouse is over it?  And can you move the
frame by dragging its mode or header line?

 >      (set-face-background 'internal-border "blue" my-child-frame)
 >
 > makes me think the child frame should have a blue border, but it
 > doesn’t. Is that a bug?

It doesn't get the border on Windows right away either.  IMHO the face
remapping code is not up to this everywhere, it might even work with GTK
only.  Try to set the 'internal-border' face via defcustom and tell me
whether it works.

Thanks, martin