Subject: Re: bug#25388: Bug in ls, kills existing scripts reading "ls" -1 as input

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2017 14:55:39 -0600

On 01/09/2017 01:53 PM, L A Walsh wrote:
>> And POSIX merely codified existing practice (this is nothing new - it
>> has been this way since the 70's)
> ---
>     Not anymore.
> 
>     Breaking "rm -fr ." wasn't an existing practice except
> at BSD-using dists (like BSD & SunOS).  While Solaris was SysV, since it
> was bought up, it has changed.

Please quit trying to change the topic.  My sentence about POSIX
codifying the existing practice of 'ls' using different output to tty
than it does to a pipeline is unrelated to your attempt to drag in 'rm'
behavior to every single bug report.  Whether or not 'rm' behavior
changes have occurred over time, and whether such changes were codified
by POSIX as existing practice, are not relevant to the current topic of
'ls' changing behavior.

-- 
Eric Blake   eblake redhat com    +1-919-301-3266
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org