Subject: bug#25360: File mode specification errors during building

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2017 09:16:34 -0500

[email-masked] (Phillip Lord) writes:

> [email-masked] (Phillip Lord) writes:
>
>> I've pushed three commits to fix/bootstrap-build-minimize which should
>> solve all of the problems. titdic-cnv no longer uses find-file (which
>> causes the errors), the functions in bootstrap-emacs have been minimized
>> so that it should be indentical on all platforms (which, ironically,
>> increases the size of ldefs-boot-auto), and I've added error-detection
>> to files.el.
>>
>> I need to build this on windows, and if anyone else has the time to do a
>> bootstrap build that would be good.
>
> The final version of this is on fix/bootstrap-build-minimize-squash,
> tested on windows and gnu/linux. Comments welcome or I'll push this to
> master tomorrow.

Just a few minor formatting things:

> Remove conditional includes from bootstrap
> 
>  * lisp/loadup.el: No longer load optional includes during bootstrap
>    dumping.
>  * lisp/ldefs-boot-auto.el: Regenerate.
>  * lisp/ldefs-boot-manual.el: Add two autoloads.
> 
> Previously, bootstrap-emacs includes optional functionality, depending
> on the platform which is not needed for bootstrap function. As a result,
> bootstrap-emacs contains different functions in different
> circumstances. If ldefs-boot-auto.el is generated, then loaded functions
> will not be added to ldefs-boot-auto.el, although they may be required
> during some builds. With this change, bootstrap-emacs should always
> behave the same way and, therefore, require the same autoloads.

Sentences should end in double space, and summary should before
ChangeLog entry.

> +;; These two autoloads are needed for files.el. They are only used on
> +;; their respective platforms so do not get added to
> +;; ldefs-boot-auto.el when it is generated on a different platform.
> +(autoload 'dos-convert-standard-filename "dos-fns.el" nil nil nil)
> +(autoload ' w32-convert-standard-filename "w32-fns.el" nil nil nil)

Extra space here.

In the last commit, "Add error handling to magic-mode-alist":

> +                                           (t
> +                                            (error
> +                                             "Problem in magic-mode-alist with element %s" re))
> +                                           ))))))

The close paren placement looks odd.