Subject: Re: bug#25360: File mode specification errors during building

From: [email-masked] (Phillip Lord)
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2017 14:05:45 +0000

Richard Stallman <[email-masked]> writes:

> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
> [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]
>
>   > For legal reasons, we need to distribute the "real" source.
>
> More than that, it is essential for _moral_ reasons.  A nonfree
> program is an injustice.

Also true, but not relevant in this case. I was suggesting changing the
"preferred form for making modifications" from one file (CTLau.html), to
another (CTLau.el). The latter is currently generated, but would become
source.

There is no legal nor moral reason to stop us from doing this. It's a
practical question of whether CTLau.html or CTLau.el is easier to
maintain.

Anyway, this is probably off-topic for this bug -- I shall open the
suggestion as a new bug.

Phil