Subject: Re: bug#25360: File mode specification errors during building

From: [email-masked] (Phillip Lord)
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2017 21:40:53 +0000

No, it doesn't, and I can see no obvious way of achieving this.

Perhaps it doesn't matter. These warnings will only occur during a full
bootstrap. So just switching the warnings off during bootstrap would
solve the problem. But this is also unsatisfying in other ways, and
probably more unsatisfying that just having ldefs-boot.el as before.

I have thought about the awk solution also. This seems to me to be
pretty hard, simply because the rules for doing autoloads are
complicated. Another possibility is to shrink loadup.el so that
bootstrap-emacs is more limited in functionality still.

At this point, though, I have to admit that I am leaning toward just
reverting.

Phil

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:

> Another issue that I think is related to this:
> Now there are lots of free variable (and unused lexical, due to missing
> defvars) warnings during bootstrapping, about autoloaded variables. The
> new ldefs stuff doesn't seem to handle variables at all?
>
> Ref eg
> http://hydra.nixos.org/build/48993155/log/raw
>
>     In toplevel form:
>     files.el:750:1:Warning: Unused lexical variable `tramp-mode'
>
>     In directory-files-recursively:
>     files.el:761:10:Warning: reference to free variable `tramp-mode'
>
>     In find-alternate-file:
>     files.el:1740:17:Warning: reference to free variable `dired-directory'
>     files.el:1750:15:Warning: assignment to free variable `dired-directory'
>
> etc