Subject: Re: bug#25360: File mode specification errors during building

From: [email-masked] (Phillip Lord)
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 10:21:12 +0000

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:

> Package: emacs
> Version: 26.0.50
>
> In current master, the following errors occur during building:
>
>   Converting cangjie-table.b5 to tsang-b5.el...
>   File mode specification error: (wrong-type-argument stringp image-type-auto-detected-p)
>
> (same for quick-b5.el, tsang-cns.el, quick-cns.el, PY.el, ZIRANMA.el)
>
>   Converting CTLau.html to CTLau.el...
>   File mode specification error: (void-function html-mode)
>
> (same for CTLau-b5.el)
>
>
> They don't actually seem to stop the build, but still they should not be
> happening. (I would guess recent changes related to loaddefs generation
> are the cause.)

I do not quite understand why this is not working -- loaddefs.el has
been generated at this point. I still do not fully understand what is
happening during the dumping process, though, so I guess bootstrap-emacs
is different now than before.

Before I investigate further, two simple solutions leap to mind. One is
just to suppress the errors probably in "titdic-cnv.el".

The other would be just to stop generating CTLau.el and
tstang-b5.el. Neither of the files from which they are generated have
been materially changed in since 2001, and CTLau.html apparently does
not exist any more in its source location. Deleting them, and adding
CTLau.el as source would solve the problem and remove a step from the
build.

Thoughts?

Phil