Subject: bug#25356: livestreamer no longer supported

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 00:01:26 -0500

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 02:13:42AM +0300, Oleg Pykhalov wrote:
> Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:
> > Ideally both packages' executables would have the same name.
> 
> Symlink?  :-)

If streamlink doesn't already provide a 'livestreamer' executable for
compatibility, I'd rather not add one.

It's a matter of taste, but I think we should avoid changing upstream
software for non-technical reasons or without overwhelming user demand
:)

This is in contrast to some distros like Debian which patch their
packages very heavily, basically creating new forks in some cases.

Note that we already had a rather high-profile deprecation with
executable name-change when certbot was renamed from letsencrypt by the
upstream developers. Any users had to adapt their scripts to account for
the new name.

So, my weak preference is to supersede livestreamer with streamlink
without creating the symlink.