Subject: bug#25330: emacs -q always produces an emacs that was partially off screen.

From: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2017 07:22:22 +0800

>>>>> "mr" == martin rudalics <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 79x35+606+41

mr> I don't know what the first two values stand for.  The 3rd and 4th
mr> values are later reported by ‘frame-geometry’ as

I always assumed they stood for width and height measured in ASCII
columns and rows.

mr> In your snapshot I see a taskbar - is this a
mr> taskbar that gets hidden automatically?

All I know is I have
$ grep bar- .emacs
(tool-bar-mode 0)
(menu-bar-mode 0)

mr> Do you have any other "fairly large window" say in the 750 pixels height
mr> category that gets positioned off screen in a similar way? 
Never.

mr> do you have any Emacs related settings in some .Xresources?

$ grep -i emacs .Xresources
Emacs.bitmapIcon: off
http://jidanni.org/comp/configuration/.Xresources

mr> These figures look good: The outer window is set off by -4 pixels so the
mr> external border is not shown on either side.  Correct?  In addition it
mr> seems to leave 768 - 748 - 8 that is 28 pixels for the taskbar (the
mr> lower external border is drawn below the taskbar, I presume).

All I know is I'm happy with what I finally use. I just feel bad for
first time users.

mr> So there isn't much Emacs itself can do about this.  From you snapshot
mr> it isn't clear to me whether the xterm window is fully visible - IIUC it
mr> also gets partly hidden beneath the taskbar.  This would hint at a
mr> problem with icewm not recognizing your taskbar.  (I don't assume that
mr> the xterm window is maximized - this would contradict your statement
mr> that a maximized window like the Emacs one is shown correctly.)

All I know is the line of boxes at the bottom of the screen (taskbar?)
is part of icewm itself. Yes, xterms are 1/2 a ASCII row too short, but
if they were 1/2 a row too long they would extend below the taskbar (if
that is what it is called.) So I am still happy with that. Anyway I am
very happy. It just took a long time to make it all that way.

Anyway, perhaps you could install icewm and run emacs inside it and see
if there is a problem with a vanilla set up. Thanks.