Subject: bug#25330: emacs -q always produces an emacs that was partially off screen.

From: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2017 07:20:21 +0800

(I had to go back and do C-u 0 C-x C-e to get rid of truncation.)

In the bad initial off window state:

icewm's size command (ALT+F8) shows
79x35+606+41

(display-monitor-attributes-list)(((name . "LVDS-1") (geometry 0 0 1366
768) (workarea 0 0 1366 768) (mm-size 344 193) (frames #<frame
emacs@jidanni5 0x12ffc30>) (source . "Gdk")))

(frame-geometry)((outer-position 606 . 41) (outer-size 760 . 743)
(external-border-size 4 . 4) (title-bar-size 0 . 20) (menu-bar-external
. t) (menu-bar-size 752 . 25) (tool-bar-external . t) (tool-bar-position
. top) (tool-bar-size 752 . 42) (internal-border-width . 0))

(frame-parameters)

(frame-parameters)((parent-id . 12603744) (explicit-name) (display .
":0") (visibility . t) (icon-name) (outer-window-id . "25165848")
(window-id . "25165852") (top . 41) (left . 606) (buried-buffer-list)
(buffer-list #<buffer *scratch*> #<buffer *GNU Emacs*> #<buffer
*Minibuf-1*>) (unsplittable) (minibuffer . #<window 4 on *Minibuf-0*>)
(modeline . t) (width . 80) (height . 36) (name . "emacs@jidanni5")
(environment) (sticky) (cursor-color . "black") (background-mode .
light) (display-type . color) (window-system . x) (fullscreen) (alpha)
(scroll-bar-height . 0) (scroll-bar-width . 16) (cursor-type . box)
(auto-lower) (auto-raise) (icon-type) (tool-bar-position . top)
(wait-for-wm . t) (title) (buffer-predicate) (tool-bar-lines . 1)
(menu-bar-lines . 1) (scroll-bar-background) (scroll-bar-foreground)
(right-fringe . 8) (left-fringe . 8) (line-spacing) (screen-gamma)
(border-color . "black") (mouse-color . "black") (background-color .
"white") (foreground-color . "black") (horizontal-scroll-bars)
(vertical-scroll-bars . right) (bottom-divider-width . 0)
(right-divider-width . 0) (internal-border-width . 0) (border-width . 0)
(font-parameter . "Monospace 11") (font . "-unknown-DejaVu Sans
Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-15-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1") (font-backend xft
x))

Now after I grab the window and move it to its proper place on screen:
I get
79x35+606+3

(display-monitor-attributes-list)(((name . "LVDS-1") (geometry 0 0 1366
768) (workarea 0 0 1366 768) (mm-size 344 193) (frames #<frame
emacs@jidanni5 0x12ffc30>) (source . "Gdk")))

(frame-geometry)((outer-position 606 . 3) (outer-size 760 . 743)
(external-border-size 4 . 4) (title-bar-size 0 . 20) (menu-bar-external
. t) (menu-bar-size 752 . 25) (tool-bar-external . t) (tool-bar-position
. top) (tool-bar-size 752 . 42) (internal-border-width . 0))

(frame-parameters)((parent-id . 12603744) (explicit-name) (display .
":0") (visibility . t) (icon-name) (outer-window-id . "25165848")
(window-id . "25165852") (top + -4) (left . 606) (buried-buffer-list)
(buffer-list #<buffer *scratch*> #<buffer *GNU Emacs*> #<buffer
*Minibuf-1*>) (unsplittable) (minibuffer . #<window 4 on *Minibuf-0*>)
(modeline . t) (width . 80) (height . 36) (name . "emacs@jidanni5")
(environment) (sticky) (cursor-color . "black") (background-mode .
light) (display-type . color) (window-system . x) (fullscreen) (alpha)
(scroll-bar-height . 0) (scroll-bar-width . 16) (cursor-type . box)
(auto-lower) (auto-raise) (icon-type) (tool-bar-position . top)
(wait-for-wm . t) (title) (buffer-predicate) (tool-bar-lines . 1)
(menu-bar-lines . 1) (scroll-bar-background) (scroll-bar-foreground)
(right-fringe . 8) (left-fringe . 8) (line-spacing) (screen-gamma)
(border-color . "black") (mouse-color . "black") (background-color .
"white") (foreground-color . "black") (horizontal-scroll-bars)
(vertical-scroll-bars . right) (bottom-divider-width . 0)
(right-divider-width . 0) (internal-border-width . 0) (border-width . 0)
(font-parameter . "Monospace 11") (font . "-unknown-DejaVu Sans
Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-15-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1") (font-backend xft
x))

This last frame-parameters I had to redo to get rid of truncation "..."
so it is in a slightly different position.

mr> The only frame-related setting I found there is that you maximize the
mr> default frame.  Am I missing anything else?

That's all. The only special thing about my icewm set up is
$ find .icewm/ -size 0
.icewm/menu
.icewm/toolbar
.icewm/keys

In my maximized window, there is no icewm size command available, and I get

(display-monitor-attributes-list)(((name . "LVDS-1") (geometry 0 0 1366
768) (workarea 0 0 1366 768) (mm-size 344 193) (frames #<frame
E06:53macs 0x12ffc30>) (source . "Gdk")))

(frame-geometry)((outer-position -4 . -4) (outer-size 1368 . 748)
(external-border-size 4 . 4) (title-bar-size 0 . 20) (menu-bar-external
. t) (menu-bar-size 0 . 0) (tool-bar-external . t) (tool-bar-position .
top) (tool-bar-size 0 . 0) (internal-border-width . 0))

(frame-parameters)((parent-id . 12583383) (explicit-name . t) (display .
":0") (visibility . t) (icon-name) (outer-window-id . "20971544")
(window-id . "20971548") (top + -4) (left + -4) (buried-buffer-list
#<buffer *Completions*> #<buffer jidanni> #<buffer .icewm> #<buffer
.newsrc-dribble>) (buffer-list #<buffer *unsent wide reply to martin
rudalics*> #<buffer *Help*> #<buffer *Minibuf-1*> #<buffer *Article
nnml:mail.misc*> #<buffer *Buffer List*> #<buffer preferences*> #<buffer
*Summary nnml:mail.misc*> #<buffer *Group*> #<buffer hhh.txt>)
(unsplittable) (minibuffer . #<window 4 on *Minibuf-0*>) (modeline . t)
(width . 166) (height . 45) (name . "E06:53macs") (environment) (sticky)
(cursor-color . "White") (background-mode . dark) (display-type . color)
(window-system . x) (fullscreen . maximized) (alpha) (scroll-bar-height
. 0) (scroll-bar-width . 16) (cursor-type . box) (auto-lower)
(auto-raise) (icon-type) (tool-bar-position . top) (wait-for-wm . t)
(title) (buffer-predicate) (tool-bar-lines . 0) (menu-bar-lines . 0)
(scroll-bar-background) (scroll-bar-foreground) (right-fringe . 8)
(left-fringe . 8) (line-spacing) (screen-gamma) (border-color . "black")
(mouse-color . "black") (background-color . "DarkSlateGray")
(foreground-color . "Wheat") (horizontal-scroll-bars)
(vertical-scroll-bars . right) (bottom-divider-width . 0)
(right-divider-width . 0) (internal-border-width . 0) (border-width . 0)
(font-parameter .
"-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--16-120-100-100-c-80-iso8859-1") (font .
"-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--16-120-100-100-c-80-iso8859-1")
(font-backend xft x))