Subject: bug#25328: gpg: "Operation cancelled" with pinentry 1.0.0 on GNOME

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2017 10:18:15 +0100

Hi Chris,

Chris Marusich <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Since upgrading pinentry from 0.9.7 to 1.0.0, I've noticed some strange
> behavior.  In GNOME only, when gpg tries to access my secret key, the
> attempt fails without prompting me for my passphrase.  For example, it
> fails like this:
>
> [0] marusich@garuda:~
> $ echo hello > /tmp/message
> [0] marusich@garuda:~
> $ gpg --sign /tmp/message 
> gpg: signing failed: Operation cancelled
> gpg: signing failed: Operation cancelled
> [2] marusich@garuda:~
> $ 

For the record, I’ve never experienced this problem (that’s outside of
GNOME) with:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ guix package -I '(gnupg|pinentry)'
pinentry	1.0.0	out	/gnu/store/57dg2i4backl38bw4ipcsdg1b7df9j64-pinentry-1.0.0
gnupg	2.1.16	out	/gnu/store/fz44xcp1iksikjvcc472bgsr9hs8ygkq-gnupg-2.1.16
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

ISTR that GNOME has a hack to force its own Pinentry tool.  Could it be
what’s at fault?

Thanks,
Ludo’.